Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which tends to hold up better on an EDC, Blue, Nickel, etc, etc?

Looking to get my first EDC, looking for a deal on a Detective Special, thinking I want a nickel plate but wondering if there are some finishes that hold up better for every day carry's

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
The ideal is stainless steel followed by hard chrome.

The stainless steel Colt would be one of the 1990's Colt SF-VI, DS-II, or Magnum Carry guns.

The hard chrome ideal would be to buy a Detective Special with a worn blue finish but in perfect mechanical condition and have one of the top refinishers hard chrome plate it.
I can furnish a list of the top people who offer hard chrome.

Of the standard Colt finishes, blue is the worst, nickel somewhat better.

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
what would one expect to pay to get a ds hard chromed?
Depends on the plater and on the options they offer.
The usual options are to the final appearance which ranges from the original satin gray "orange peel" surface to a stainless steel look to even a mirror polish finish depending on what they offer and what you ask for. The final appearance is determined by how the metal is process before the plating is applied.
Personally, I always preferred the original satin gray, which is durable and non-glare.
Some have brand names for it, but it's all hard chrome. Do some reading.

ACCURATE PLATING AND WEAPONRY | APWCOGAN

Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing - Ford's Desert Eagle Sights
(For all around gun refinishing, Cogan and Ford's are tied for first place. Ford's is known for higher polish bluing, Cogan for plating).

Firearms Applications
(Will also plate the ID of bores and chambers, but some people question the effectiveness.)

Metaloy, Industries - Professional Gun Finishing - hard chrome, blue and polymer finish

Welcome to TechPlate, Inc. Firearms retail plating price list

Elite Custom Plating --  Re-Finishing, Custom Work, Competition Guns

Hard Chrome Plating & Electroless Nickel Plating, Armalloy & Gun Bluing by Mahovsky's Metalife
(Been doing it a LONG time, usually has a very good rep. Prices lower than anyone else's, but turnaround may be slow, and communication is often lacking).

NOTE: Do any edge rounding or other work before plating. Once plated you can't alter anything.
Hard chrome will actually improve the trigger pull and the "slick" finish limits the amount of lube needed. Fouling won't stick to it as badly making cleaning easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts