Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4" Python and a 3rd gen Detective Special, and now I want more! But I just can't decide!

I have my eye on a 4" SS King Cobra, but this would be my third 4" .357 in my collection. I am also eyeing a really nice nickel Trooper MK V and a 4" blued Diamondback .38 special.

At this point, I am leaning towards the Diamondback, just because it seems to be such a perfect size for .38, or the Trooper MK V, because it looks so cool in nickel with that vent rib.

All choices would just be used for fun at the range. I have others that will see the defense or hunting duties.

Which would you pick? Why? (I know -- pick ALL of them.
But I can't do that right now...)

Certified Snake Addict.

·
Registered
711 Posts
What a tough choice!!

The reasons I would choose any of the various guns you mentioned are:

1) The KC is probably the toughest, most practical one for lots of shooting at the range,
2) the Trooper V because it's probably the least often encountered of the guns mentioned, and
3) the DB because they have such smooth actions.

I personally would shy away from the Trooper V however because nickel seems to be such a delicate finish and the DB because of its smaller frame would appear to be the lightest duty gun listed.

Therefore, with practicality foremost in mind, I would choose the KC.

Just to be clear, you won't make a bad choice with any of them.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
689 Posts
What a choice... Where the heck are locating such a variety??? I sure wish I had the opportunity to make such a decision...

Now that I got that out of my system I will offer you my one and a half cents...

1st off I have nothing bad to say about a Trooper except that it is not a Snake and I assume that, giving your handle that Snakes are you priority... I do however have a lot to say about the other two variables...

In a nutshell, the King Cobra will withstand everything you can throw at it. It is accurate and is sure to do its duty when needed. It is also readily available at a very reasonable cost as compared to other Colts...

Now lets talk Diamondback... If it were a stock and traded on the New York Stock Exchange it would have made a number of owners billionairs... This is a Colt that is (and will probably continue to) sky-rocket in price/value... Maybe because it resembles the Python or perhaps due to its size and caliber or possibly its discontinuance years ago (who knows)...

You failed to mention what the cost options were for your applicable choices...

That being said, I would weigh the cost of the three... Lets presume they were equal... That would be a no-brainer... Diamondback hands down...

The remainder would be relative of which only you can decide...

Regards,

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Trooper is a 6" and I currently don't own any DA 6" revos. The price is $475, which sounds high, but I understand the MK V is something of a rarity.

The King Cobra is stainless and in great conditon. Price is $400, which seems reasonable.

The Diamondback is really getting my attention though. Price is $500, but it is the same beautiful Royal Blue like my Python and they would look so good together.

Oh the choice! I wish I could just get all of them!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Sounds like the minty D-back at $500 is a nice price if you're looking to collect and put it away.

$400 for a Minty King's good for a .357 Shoot forever gun. You can shoot either .357 or .38 in it. Clean it and it will look good for a L o n g dam time.

There's NOTHING wrong with more than 2,3 or 4 .357's.
It's the most common caliber in the revolver.

Let's put it this way. You can own the King for $400. Shoot it when ever and where ever and take care of it and you will never loose any value on it what-so-ever.
If you get bored with it in 6 months or 6 years, it will always sell or trade well.
Just my 2 pesos.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Of course my choice would be the Diamondback, but then again I am prejudice.

Another way to look at it would be, since you have the Python, the DB would give you the "big brother" "little brother" combination in two different frame sizes and two different calibers that look alike.
Besides you already have a .357 (Python), how many do you need?

Lastly, a DB at $500 is a steal, don't pass it up, no matter what else you do.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 11-07-2004).]

·
Registered
689 Posts
Trooper $475.00
King Cobra $400.00
Diamond Back $500.00
Total... A Smidgeon of only... $1,375
Divorce... Priceless!!!

Seriously - Diamondback!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I sure don't know nearly much about Colts, but if a tough service pistol is on your want list, that should describe the KC.

The DB is the one I'd like & would probably get.

The Trooper shouldn't be a bad choice at all.

And congrats on your Python & DS.

------------------
John
Northern CA

"Life brings us joys and sorrows alike, it is what a man does with them- not what they do to him- that is the true measure of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

[This message has been edited by Poohgyrr (edited 11-21-2004).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts