Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just purchased my first Colt revolver in 28 years this past weekend I've got a hankering for another or maybe several. I have the opportunity to bid at a local auction on the following guns:

Colt Trooper MKIII, .357, blue with pearl grips.
Colt Detective Special, .38 Special, blue with pearl grips.
Colt Diamondback, .22LR, vent rib, blue.
Colt Trooper MKIII, .22LR, blue.
Colt Cobra, .38 Special, blue

Now I know condition is everything but given two senarios;

#1 All guns are shooters

#2 All guns are 95% to ANIB

Which would you choose? This figuring the high condition guns would be kept that way with an eye towards turning a profit somewhere down the line. The shooters would be just that, enjoyed, cared for and shot on a regular basis. TIA

·
Registered
904 Posts
Cobra then the MKIII in .22 LR then the Diamondback .22.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
All of 'em!

Kidding. I would probably go after the guns in this order:

Diamondback
Detective Special (assuming fac. pearl grips)
Cobra
Trooper 22
Trooper 357

Of course, it all depends on what you need in your collection...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I have exactly none of each so all are potential candidates. So the DS could be had with factory pearls? Also why did you choose them in that order? Is the Diamondback the most likely to appreciate in value or just the most fun to shoot? Is the Cobra the least common followed by the others?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The .22s are less common. The Diamondback has been more sought after although .22 Troopers bring a good price. Factory pearls are pricey but less likely than aftermarket which make for a non original gun. Aside from that, it comes down to what you like and how the auction goes. JMO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Detective
Diamondback
Cobra
In about that order!
I'm sure its a shock but I love D Frames!

·
Registered
904 Posts
It may be illogical but I like the small guns best. I almost bought a Diamondback once but I just couldn't get excited about it. I like oddities too. I've seen Diamondback .22s fairly often, not so the Trooper .22. but if I could have but one of the 4 it would be the Cobra.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm with Hobie on this one. Trooper 22!
These may be the next ones to go crazy. Better start buying them up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I don't have a .22 wheelgun so maybe one of those is worth consideration above the others? As I also collect J frame Smiths I too have a liking for the snubbies. Decisions, decisons.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Depends on barrel length. If the .22 Diamondback is 2 1/2" then that would be first. If the .22 Trooper MkIII is 8" then that would be second. If the .38 Diamondback is 6" then that would be third. Doesn't really matter with the other 2. The pearl grips can go in the trash as far as I'm concern so I would use that as bargaining power. Now if they were ivory it would be a different story.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.38 Diamondback? These are all coming up at auction so unfortunately the only bargaining I will have is with my bid.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the Diamondback was a .22 in 2.5" nickel, that'd be the one to have as there aren't very many of those puppies around as I understand it . . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts