Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not believe I have ever owned a Colt1911 in which the white dots in the sights have not come off.
No other manufacturer seems to have this issue, however I could be wrong. Of course they are easily painted back on.
My question is, I assume Colt knows about this the white dots coming off, why do you feel they don't just go ahead and fix the problem?

·
Registered
852 Posts
If I were a betting man, I'd bet not many go back to Hartford to have the sights repainted; owners do what you do, Horseman. A dab of paint isn't rocket surgery even for the most inexperienced gunny.
Colt may not know it is a problem.
Moon

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
My Officer's ACP has had the same problem for years. What do you recommend as far as paint brand, type, etc? Thanx!

Major Dad

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Just go to a hobby store and buy a small 1 oz. bottle of white enamel paint. Put a tiny drop of paint on the tip of a toothpick and apply it to the sight. Let dry 24 hrs., Voila, you're done!

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
So smart, Malysh! I bet wifey has a little bottle of that in her craft stuff. Duuuhhh......... I may even let her do the job since she's a recent convert to the "gun culture." Besides, her hands are steadier than mine.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Ya mean my Norinco "Model of 1911A1" bought in 93 and still has the 3 dot white sights has outlasted a Colt's 3 dot sights? Oh my :rolleyes:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,088 Posts
The reason sight inserts fall out is because whoever made them failed to properly degrease the holes. The lube causes the paint to fail to adhere, and recoil jars them out.

To re-do them, first degrease the holes with a solvent like alcohol.

For the inserts you can use Testor's model airplane paint, appliance touch-up lacquer paint, Rust-oleum paint, or most any craft enamel paint.
I find that a Gloss White is more visible than a Flat White.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Clean/degrease then scuff em up a bit. Clean/ degrease again Orange on front, green on back.

Green front sight may fade against bushes, grass etc...

·
Registered
283 Posts
When mine came off I used the hobby paint.
Not too dexterious with my hands but I found that if you get a good drop on the end of a toothpick and let it fall into the dished part of the sight it will perfectly fill it out.
As said, clean first.
My original lasted 300/400 rounds. My replacement has lasted 1000+ and still going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts