Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
White outline ACCRO blade good?

Before whipping out the plastic, is there any feeling about the usefulness of the white outline rear sight blade being used with the Sport Woodsman and a 6" barrel?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
If were me, I would paint the inside of the notch with white nail polish, or Testors model paint. The paint is easily removed and it keeps the originality of the sight, and the expense down. Sport Woodsman has a 4 1/2" barrel. Woodsman Target has the 6" barrel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If were me, I would paint the inside of the notch with white nail polish, or Testors model paint. The paint is easily removed and it keeps the originality of the sight, and the expense down. Sport Woodsman has a 4 1/2" barrel. Woodsman Target has the 6" barrel.
All parts removed will be placed in a plastic bag with VCI paper. This Woodsman Sport model is quite common, but I'd rather be able to put the original parts back on if I wanted to. Yes, the blade will run about a double sawbuck, but this is 'Murica... Besides, I save so much by not binge drinking that I can spend money on parts...

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,611 Posts
White outline rear sights are very much a personal preference item..... you either like it and use it well, or not.
For the price it can't hurt to try it and see if it's an advantage for you.

Just in case......

Changing the Colt Accro rear sight blade is fairly easy.
Unscrew and remove the windage screw on the right side.
Use a finger nail to pull the sight blade over to the left side, tilt the right side up out of the base and remove.
CAUTION...Don't loose the tiny windage spring.
You can prevent loss by putting everything in a large plastic bag so it something flies loose it will be caught.

Lubricate everything with your favorite lube and reassemble in the reverse.

CAUTION...If you remove the entire Accro sight from the gun IMMEDIATELY wrap some tape around the sight leaf section.
The cross pin that retains the elevation screw can easily fall out and that will allow the elevation screw and it's TINY spring and two even TINIER balls to fall out and get lost.

Here's two pictures of the early and later Colt Accro sights. Note that the later picture doesn't show the elevation screw retainer cross pin.

Early type.....

Early Accro Schematic.JPG

Later type.....

Accro Dis.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have used the bright white nail polish on dozens of my handguns' rear sights. All of them. I use triple orange on the front sight over the top of a white nail polish. I finish with a clear gloss nail polish.

I can barely see without it. Black on black on black and everything disappears. This is a great technique to keep shooting as your eyes age.
Inexpensive and it works great!

Prescut

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Yes sir
White outline,or colored sights in general, are a personal preference. I would notethat competition/match sights are almost always black on black. Yourconcentrated focus during sight alignment and presentation should be on thefront sight. Some previously good advice is paint the rear sight and seeif you like it.

Vic

1 - 8 of 8 Posts