Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is documented that 394 of the first 500 Colt Walkers and accoutrements (including 1 powder flask per revolver, bulk powder and lead, single/6 cavity conical picket bullet molds, several thousandpercussion caps, and numerous spare parts) werereleased by the US Army Ordance officer in Vera Cruz Oct 15 and Oct 26, 1847 to the TexasCavalry (aka Texas Rangers). This was after Captain Walkers death at Huamantla.Since there was no .44 cal lead pojectiles in the US Army Ordnance storesit is a reasonable assumption that the Rangers must have had a bullet pouring"party" to cast sufficient stores of ammo from the bulk lead. It is also documentedthat for every 2 revolvers there was 1 single cavity conicalbullet mold. There were a total of 8 six cavityconical bullet molds for the total 394 revolvers issued to the Rangers.and 2 six cavity molds issued to Lt. Claiborne of Co. C USMR after Walkersdeath with the last of the 100 Walkers issued during the Mexican War.Recently I came across a 6 cavity brass conical bullet mold with Colt markings at an antique store in San AntonioI suspected being one of the total of 10 Walker 6 cavity moldssent to Veracruz or one of the 10 6 cavity molds that were part of the 500 Walkersreserved for the Eighth Dept. Of the Army in San Antonio after the war. I got the seller downto $400 (the antique guy thought it was ACW), but my daughter intervened saying Ialready had too many "toys" and I didnt buy it. Afterconsiderable research afterwards I am reasonably convinced it WAS agenuine original Walker 6 cavity conical "needle nose" picket bullet mold, one of 20 such molds made for the 1000 MilitaryWalkers.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I came across a 6 cavity brass conical bullet mold with Colt markings

In Robin Rapley's book on Colt Accoutrements, he pictures and discusses the Armory (Gang) Mold for the Walker. He states the mold is blued steel and makes no mention of Colt markings, just stamped "US". I take it you have a different source for your information?

John Gross

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I defer to the experts. I will have to check that reference out, before I get all excited next time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John and other forum members who have messaged me:Regardless of what gang mold it was, the antique dealer had sold it to an out of statevisitor by the time I called back to grab it. Perhaps it might have been a gang mold for a Dragoon???

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
John and other forum members who have messaged me:Regardless of what gang mold it was, the antique dealer had sold it to an out of statevisitor by the time I called back to grab it. Perhaps it might have been a gang mold for a Dragoon???

Yes, as elhombreconnonombre relays -

This could well be an entirely rare and desirable and valuable old Mold, intended for the Dragoon Pistols...so, may still be well worth while at that price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts