Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
393 Posts
if those are factory engraved by colt, I will pass. And I am such a Colt fan boy that whatever they’re selling, I am usually buying. Except for that.

I have a 4” Python that has seen a lot of rounds though it in the past 50 years. If colt is ever going to accept engraving work on Pythons again (why can it engrave a 100 year old SAA but not any of my Pythons?) and I had the choice between that kind of job and some nekkid wimmins engraved by an Italian in Val Trompia, I would go with the latter. granted, this is a shotgun with more surface area to engrave but I am sure there is space for at least some boobs.

Arm Sleeve Art Artifact Pattern

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yeah the Italians just do it better than all the rest. And this from a huge fan of Brit rose and scroll. For pure artistry, nothing beats what comes out of Italy today. But the Italian style isn't for everyone, which is why I celebrate the diverse styles and generally love them all... Although I'm not much for boobs on my guns.

American guns just had a style of their own, and I really love that look as well. A classic engraved Winchester is a tough canvas to beat for an engraver. Its like the gun was designed with the engraver in mind.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah the Italians just do it better than all the rest. And this from a huge fan of Brit rose and scroll. For pure artistry, nothing beats what comes out of Italy today. But the Italian style isn't for everyone, which is why I celebrate the diverse styles and generally love them all... Although I'm not much for boobs on my guns.

American guns just had a style of their own, and I really love that look as well. A classic engraved Winchester is a tough canvas to beat for an engraver. Its like the gun was designed with the engraver in mind.
They can also skip the Bulino and do the kind of scroll US engravers do for less money. While I was waiting to have my shotgun stock carved, I was walking with my German Shepherd down to a local at to have a cappuccino and we passed by a house that had a German Shepherd just like mine. A guy came out and we started talking and it turned out he was an engraver who was very short of work and was willing to do anything I wanted done on my shotgun. I got to thinking that he would be a good point of reference to scroll up and gold inlay my 4 inch call python one day. I am pretty sure I could get him to do exactly the same kind of job that you see from Mike Dubber or I could even use one of dubber’s engraving transfers.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Two weeks ago a local Fin Feather Fur had 2 new engraved Anacondas and 1 Python for $1999 each. The next week both were gone. They get about half a dozen Colts in every Thursday and they only last about a week.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope--Outsourced 100%.
So in that regard I wonder what an archive letter would say?
Colt sends it out, it gets engraved and sent back, Colt final checks it and boxes it up then distributes them.
So I wonder what a letter would say ‘machine engraved’ ‘engraved by XYZ llc’ or maybe even something different or nothing at all?
Anyone here have a machine engraved Colt they’ve lettered? Would be interesting to see if it even mentions it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
So in that regard I wonder what an archive letter would say?
Colt sends it out, it gets engraved and sent back, Colt final checks it and boxes it up then distributes them.
So I wonder what a letter would say ‘machine engraved’ ‘engraved by XYZ llc’ or maybe even something different or nothing at all?
Anyone here have a machine engraved Colt they’ve lettered? Would be interesting to see if it even mentions it.
No it will say Colt because when it left the factory it was engraved by Colt (level indicated). It is no different than if another process was performed outside of the factory like Ion Bond. When it leaves the factory it is what it is. If it leaves Colt to be engraved for a 3rd party then to a distributer then it was not done by Colt it was done by the distributer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts