Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know enough about SAAs to buy a typical U.S. or commercial first generation gun, but I have not seen enough buntlines to trust my own opinion to buy one of these. Is there anyone here that would consider himself an expert on these guns and could provide an expert opinion? The Colt Archives got no record of this serial number. I am just posting a couple of pictures, but have many more to provide in a one-on-one conversation. Thank you in advance!
Musical instrument Wood Fashion accessory Tool Metal
Car alarm Finger Font Gas Nickel

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you go online to www.morphyauctions.com you can compare yours to #28818 which was sold as lot 1263 on 11/17/2021.
Thanks for pointing me to Morphy’s! I was looking for it on Rock Island and if course I couldn’t find it. I see enough differences in at least the following photos to call the one I am looking for a fake.

Attachments

·
The Consummate Collector
8,210 Posts
Thanks for pointing me to Morphy’s! I was looking for it on Rock Island and if course I couldn’t find it. I see enough differences in at least the following photos to call the one I am looking for a fake.
That didn't take long. We sure have some great Detectives on this Forum.

Cam.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
The ser.# dates it as 1875 several yrs before Colt made them,the frame lacks the 2 line pat. dates,the early bevel on the cyl isn't there so no telling what yr it is,the hammer in it w/the tapered firing pin & coarse knurling wasn't made until 1906.Who ever built this gun did a nice job.The shoulder stock raises some questions as to when it was made but I can't pin it down,there were a few different styles made over the yrs one requiring a groove in the bottom of the back strap.It's hard to put a value on it,I've got a few nice Buntlines but none worth what they are asking for this one,one of them is a .44 spcl spcl on a 1909 Colt w/1 pce, checkered maple grips obviously not original but it's probably a one of a kind.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I condemned this gun as soon as I saw the serial numbers. I would not have to look any further. I have never seen original colt numbers look so perfect. They are nearly always slanted, some deep and other shallow. struck hard on the top or bottom, or some parts thick and others thin. These are just too good to be true. If the serial numbers are altered then the rest of the gun is in question as well and forever will be. Someone picked these numbers on purpose do to being in the range and a no letter gun.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts