Colt Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
I know enough about SAAs to buy a typical U.S. or commercial first generation gun, but I have not seen enough buntlines to trust my own opinion to buy one of these. Is there anyone here that would consider himself an expert on these guns and could provide an expert opinion? The Colt Archives got no record of this serial number. I am just posting a couple of pictures, but have many more to provide in a one-on-one conversation. Thank you in advance! View attachment 805525 View attachment 805526
I have a data sheet as taken from #28810. You can PM me to compare.

After sending the above reply, I found your PM and sent a couple of quick comments that should be sufficient to discourage the purchase of this fake “Buntline”.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I like that replica and it's interesting that it sold for about half of what the RIA auction estimate was. It says the manufacturer is Colt, but has no information regarding who actually put it together. Colt's never made replica's like that correct ? Their "Buntline" SAA's were simply standard SAA frames with long barrels.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I know enough about SAAs to buy a typical U.S. or commercial first generation gun, but I have not seen enough buntlines to trust my own opinion to buy one of these. Is there anyone here that would consider himself an expert on these guns and could provide an expert opinion? The Colt Archives got no record of this serial number. I am just posting a couple of pictures, but have many more to provide in a one-on-one conversation. Thank you in advance! View attachment 805525 View attachment 805526
[/
All of the people that I knew that I would consider experts on the matter (RL Harris, RL Wilson Tommy Rholes, Jonathan Peck are all long gone. Buntlines are very unique and even more expensive. From what I have learned from My Dad and His cohorts from Back in the day is that if you find something that special and cannot document it then leave it on the table. My dad and the Ct. Gun Guild ran the Hartford show from 67 to 85 and I couldn't think of a group of guys who's advice I would respect more.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
It helps to see more than distant left and right side pictures of original "Buntlines". I got a rare opportunity to see a 45 x 10" example (#28810), and took it apart for all external and hidden markings. Even made a dimensioned drawing of the topstrap and rear sight good enough to make these parts. Not going to happen though - not from my drawing!

Reactions: OD*
21 - 32 of 32 Posts