Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am fairly new to this forum. I am inquiring to see if anyone out there can tell me more about a 1st Generation Colt SAA marked "E.S.K.". I believe it stands for "Edward S. Keith" dectective and guard, Denver, Colorado. Does anyone out there have any inofrmation on the "E.S.K." Colts or can anyone direct me where to find more information? Of course, I will be contacting the Colt Archive Service for a letter. I appreciate any assistance and information that can be provided. Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
The Colt Letter is going to be your First Lead, knowing where it was shipped. Where are the Letters stamped ?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Hello. I am fairly new to this forum. I am inquiring to see if anyone out there can tell me more about a 1st Generation Colt SAA marked "E.S.K.". I believe it stands for "Edward S. Keith" dectective and guard, Denver, Colorado. Does anyone out there have any inofrmation on the "E.S.K." Colts or can anyone direct me where to find more information? Of course, I will be contacting the Colt Archive Service for a letter. I appreciate any assistance and information that can be provided. Thank you in advance for your knowledge.
Keith Cochran notes in his book that serial # 106105, shipped to J.P. Lower had ESK stamped on the right side of the frame and ESK 15 stamped on the wooden grip. He speculates that E. S. Keith bought the guns through Lower for his P.I. firm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your information. I will need to follow up with Keith Cochran's book. This Colt is stamped "E.S.K." on both sides of the frame at approximately at a 45 degree angle between the frame screws. The serial number indicates an 1884 production date according to a website. The serial number is within a few of the number mentioned above, although there are no markings on the grips of this Colt. I am assuming the grips have been replaced or just went unstamped. I could not get ahold of Colt Archives yet as my work schedule conflicts with their hours of operation. If the letter comes back that this Colt was shipped to J.P. Lower, I would assume it is the proper stamping to link this Colt with the "Edward S. Keith" detectives and guard. I know the Colt is already considerably valuable, but would this make the Colt of more value? Thank you for the information and I will let you know what the letter states. I am going to do the expedited service inorder to have a phone response and then wait for the letter to arrive. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Thank you both for your information. I will need to follow up with Keith Cochran's book. This Colt is stamped "E.S.K." on both sides of the frame at approximately at a 45 degree angle between the frame screws. The serial number indicates an 1884 production date according to a website. The serial number is within a few of the number mentioned above, although there are no markings on the grips of this Colt. I am assuming the grips have been replaced or just went unstamped. I could not get ahold of Colt Archives yet as my work schedule conflicts with their hours of operation. If the letter comes back that this Colt was shipped to J.P. Lower, I would assume it is the proper stamping to link this Colt with the "Edward S. Keith" detectives and guard. I know the Colt is already considerably valuable, but would this make the Colt of more value? Thank you for the information and I will let you know what the letter states. I am going to do the expedited service inorder to have a phone response and then wait for the letter to arrive. Thanks again.
Provenance is ALWAYS a good thing. It may be more desireable (if not more valuable monetarily) to a collector of Lower shipped guns (one of which posts here) in that it had a definite destination and user rather than the "trail" ending at Simmons Hardware or some other ho-hum retailer.

I have seen other guns (or gun) marked this way. Can't remember if at a show or a pic somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts