Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that Colt made 1000 1909 US Navy revolvers, cal.45 Colt. Colt also made 1400 1909 USMC revolvers. Thus, the Navy version a a bit more rare, but not hugely more rare.

I often see commentary on the USMC version. When they go up for auction, they get very high prices. Sometimes, even a gun that has been obviously refinished gets a very high price. So why do I never see commentary on the 1909 US Navy? Why do I never see them up for auction?

I must confess that about 8 years ago, at my local gun store, a 1909 US Navy was for sale in the range of $800 to $900, and I did not buy it. It had a crude and heavy refinish job, and back then I rejected it for that reason. Now I wish I had it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would love to find a USMC Model 1909 that was in my price range.I do have a Model 1909 U.S.Army that was in my price range ($600) and that one just happened to be at the local gun shop. Mine has been refinished and rebarrelled with a New Service barrel, but it shoots great and I do not feel bad about shooting a "Collector's Piece". Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I maintain a database of M1909's, and it currently contains the following revolvers:

Branch # in Database # Made Serial number Range
USMC 18 1400 23022 - 26864
USN 12 1000 51328 - 53096
USARMY 103 19503 30294 - 49494

The numbers reported to the database are roughly proportional to the numbers made (the current best estimates), the serial number ranges reported are pretty close to the known ones, and the Army has about twice the loss rate of the others, perhaps as expected (more boots on the ground). So perhaps the database is a reasonable sample of what's really out there. There were a few oddball specimens that I won't discuss without more data, but very few.

There is a surprising number of specimens in pretty good condition, suggesting not used much in battle. The Marine Corp has higher percentage of these than the other two services.

More to come as I get more data.

Buck

·
Registered
681 Posts
I maintain a database of M1909's, and it currently contains the following revolvers:

Branch # in Database # Made Serial number Range
USMC 18 1400 23022 - 26864
USN 12 1000 51328 - 53096
USARMY 103 19503 30294 - 49494

The numbers reported to the database are roughly proportional to the numbers made (the current best estimates), the serial number ranges reported are pretty close to the known ones, and the Army has about twice the loss rate of the others, perhaps as expected (more boots on the ground). So perhaps the database is a reasonable sample of what's really out there. There were a few oddball specimens that I won't discuss without more data, but very few.

There is a surprising number of specimens in pretty good condition, suggesting not used much in battle. The Marine Corp has higher percentage of these than the other two services.

More to come as I get more data.

Buck
Do you want the number off my rebuilt 1909?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
No disrespect to any swabbies on the forum (my dad was one for 30 years), but I believe many things USMC related garner more interest among collectors.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,465 Posts
I have one 1909 USMC and two 1909 Navy. One of each including the Army model will be on display at this years CCA Show in Concord, N.C. My data shows that Colt built 1000 of the Navy and 1300 of the USMC. I will try and take a few pictures to post as soon as my schedule allows.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
usmc69, that's still a good-looking gun, regardless of the replaced parts. Shoot it, and enjoy it.

Buck

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It has also had the barrel replaced with one from a 1917.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thanks for the URL, up196. The gun has been refinished as well, and its full serial number should 52616 from the butt number 616. Anyone expecting to get $4000 from that shooter will be greatly disappointed. It may be worth $1000 to someone that wants a highly modified 1909 Navy frame - to me, $400-$500 maximum.

Buck

·
Registered
2 Posts
The grips are real tough to find. Actually the guy I bought this one from had found the walnut grips about 25 years ago, so I bought it with both sets.

I found a couple sets for the Colt 1917, which are the same as the 1909 Navy. I got those for $75 per set, but that was close to 10 years ago. Now the repros go for about that.

I also really lucked out a few years ago and found an original set for the 1909 USMC for $150. I just posted a message on another forum and a guy said he had a set....amazing luck.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Been to the Pawn Shop that is selling that Navy 1909. They have thousands of guns in the shop. It is some thing to see. Their prices are out of whack on most things as is shown by their asking price for this Navy. I bought an Army that has had a New Service barrel put on it and the cylinder release replaced and the grips replaced and paid $600.00 for it. Maybe I should take it to Deland and see if they will give me what they are asking for the Navy.
IMG_0946.jpg Don't know why my pictures of this gun want to come up. upside down.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts