Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty rough shape Colt trooper mk 111 with the 6in barrel it was blued but not much finish left rust and pitting their and looks like a possible bent crane looks like was a truck gun or stored outdoors just wanted to know if anyone could clean it up and refinish it the boar is nice and shiny could be a good shooter but it's UGLY lol

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
To be honest this orange may not be worth the squeeze. J-frames for the most part don't carry that much value (outside of a few). Unless there is some personal value to the revolver you'll be way ahead buying one in better shape for less than repairs and a refinish for this one will likely be. That being said...they are excellent guns but I think the cost/benefit analysis goes against you.

If you're determined to rebuild this gun, parts are available often on eBay or Numrich Arms and for the most part they're drop-in.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
One of our forum vendors, Custom shop inc. has shown some pretty impressive looking refinish projects; and in fact when you scroll down to their "header", the first posting is of a Trooper MK III redo. Looks pretty good, take a look.
No idea of price but easy enough to contact them.

As for the "smithing" portion of your Trooper, provided you don't want to undertake the job yourself as "snidely" suggest, I am aware of no Colt gunsmith more highly praised than Frank Glenn of AZ.

I have personally used neither of these outfits.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
To be honest this orange may not be worth the squeeze. J-frames for the most part don't carry that much value (outside of a few). Unless there is some personal value to the revolver you'll be way ahead buying one in better shape for less than repairs and a refinish for this one will likely be. That being said...they are excellent guns but I think the cost/benefit analysis goes against you.

If you're determined to rebuild this gun, parts are available often on eBay or Numrich Arms and for the most part they're drop-in.
I agree with this, You can find a very nice Trooper III for about $700, and you could easily spend more than that on a refinish and the parts you need. The end result is a refinished gun that's worth less than you have in it. When people come to me with guns like that I usually recommend Parkerizing, it's inexpensive and looks pretty cool as well. The best thing about it is that the dull finish makes blemishes (dents, pits etch) much less visible, so you can do it with minimal prep work even on a rough gun.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
The bent crane may be a easy fix rapping the rear of the cylinder the proper direction while out of the frame. If that were my gun, I would use one of the cold bluing such as Van's to make it look better. Then shoot it and not worry.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,622 Posts
As above, for the repair work, I strongly recommend Frank Glenn. He's one of the very few Master Colt qualifies pistolsmiths still working.
His quality of work is top notch, pricing is excellent, and turnaround is fast.
He's done a good bit of work for members here to top reviews, and he's also a member:

Frank Glenn-Glenn Custom Complete Gunsmithing Service Glendale AZ

For refinishing, you have to be very careful who you trust. Not that many companies are able to do a Colt quality rebluing job without rounding off edges, polishing out the stamps, or leaving ripples in the flats.
Note that even gun butcher quality reblue work is expensive because 95% of the job is in the hand polishing, and it's the hand polishing that determines the quality.

So, you can have GOOD refinishing, or CHEAP refinishing......Choose ONE.

Here's a couple that are recommended.

Glenrock Blue
A top shop that does a lot of work for top custom gunmakers.

https://www.customshopinc.com/
I personally haven't seen their work so I can't give a recommendation one way or the other, but it looks good on the site pictures.

https://www.ronsgunshop.com/
A top firearms restoration service. Listed up there with the famed Doug Turnbull company. Turnbull apparently no longer does Colt DA revolvers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts