Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just got these recently, I already have a 6" blue King Cobra and went to an auction and got these for about $400 each. The Trooper III was a local Deputy Sheriff's duty gun, and the DS was his off duty piece.

The Trooper shoots like a dream and it looks how I like my guns, lots of character but not abused. IMO Colts look better with some holster wear and a few dings in the grips:cool:

I admit I'm a Ruger DA revolver fanatic but I love the Colt Mark III series. I want a Lawman Mark III and an Official Police Mark III next.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,070 Posts
I owned a number of Trooper Mark III's over the years.
The 6" .22LR versions were my favorite for shooting double action practice.

I still have one, a 99.99% 4":

·
Registered
55 Posts
Was the mark III THE FIRST series with the inertia firing pin?I bought one new in the early 70's... Can't remember if it was a MK III or IV .

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
The Model Three-Fifty-Seven (1953 - 1961) was the first with a frame mounted firing pin. The Mk III, however, was the first with a transfer bar safety mechanism. :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Am going to go and look at a 6" MkIII 22 and a 1970-75 .357 Border Patrol later this week... Possibly first ever wheel gun purchases there...

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Am going to go and look at a 6" MkIII 22 and a 1970-75 .357 Border Patrol later this week... Possibly first ever wheel gun purchases there...
If these guns are high conditon and the asking price isn't insane I'd suggest you buy them both. Both are getting hard to find. As you probably know, if the BP is factory Nickel finish it is a pretty scarce gun. I think the MkIII series of revolvers are still a bit underappreciated. Great tank tough, reliable Colt revolvers. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If these guns are high conditon and the asking price isn't insane I'd suggest you buy them both. Both are getting hard to find. As you probably know, if the BP is factory Nickel finish it is a pretty scarce gun. I think the MkIII series of revolvers are still a bit underappreciated. Great tank tough, reliable Colt revolvers. As always, JMHO.
That had occured to me. The other offering the guy has is a S&W17-4 .22... Please don't hate me if I come home with that one instead...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope the Mark III's stay underappreciated! I still need a Lawman Mk. III and an Official Police Mk. III=) Kind of like Dan Wessons, although the DW Model 15 .357 I had never grew on me, traded it for a S&W 66-7 and never looked back.

I saw a Peacekeeper today too, basically a half lug King Cobra in a matte finish.......my guess is Colt's attempt at a "budget" version of the KC?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,070 Posts
I hope the Mark III's stay underappreciated! I still need a Lawman Mk. III and an Official Police Mk. III=) Kind of like Dan Wessons, although the DW Model 15 .357 I had never grew on me, traded it for a S&W 66-7 and never looked back.

I saw a Peacekeeper today too, basically a half lug King Cobra in a matte finish.......my guess is Colt's attempt at a "budget" version of the KC?
The Peacekeeper was a special model made during the big Colt strike of the mid-1980's.
With the strike on Colt didn't have enough people skilled at polishing, so they put them on the premium guns like the Python and brought out a series of revolvers with an unpolished matte black finish.

The Trooper Mark V/Peacekeeper later became the King Cobra.

The Peacekeeper was nothing more than the Colt Trooper Mark V with the matte finish.
There was also a matte black Detective Special known as the Commando Special, not to be confused with the parkerized war-time Commando of WWII, and a matte finish Cobra, which strangely was still called the Cobra.

As soon as the strike ended, Colt discontinued these guns. They were great buys because internally they were the same quality as the bright polish models.

The Trooper Mark V/Peacekeeper later became the King Cobra.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My Colt trooper MKIII saved my life two times, one from a pack of feral dogs and once from an armed crazy. You bet it is a special gun to me and I will never forget how it made all the difference. It was carried in a Ted Blocker teflon lined pancake holster of which I have never seen another like it though I know they were out there.

It also held up amazing well to a steady diet of many , many boxes of Super Vels and hand loads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Trooper's are good guns..... I'm lucky enough to have a Mk III in .357 ....

trooper2.jpg

...and a Trooper Mk III in .22 LR

trooper22a.jpg

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I've owned several over the years. The first one was a Lawman .38 Special 4 inch. Some years later I acquired a Trooper MKIII .357 Magnum 6 inch. Then I got my hands on a 6 inch Trooper MKIII .22, and what a nice shooting revolver this was. These 6 inch MKIIIs had some nice features like a wide hammer and a wide smooth trigger. Both had the large stocks, but the 22 stocks were kind of rounded on the bottom, very nice. While not traditional Colt's these guns were well designes and built to withstand lots of 357s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah, the Metropolitan! I just heard about them yesterday! I've been a S&W fan for years, and more recently a Ruger nut and although I've owned Colts for years never researched them or "collected" them. I just like the looks and the actions of the Mark III and up revolvers. I also love fixed sight 4" .38's and .357's, and now I have more stuff to add to my "needs" list and get even more broke! A Mark III Official Police, Lawman, Metropolitan, throw in another Trooper III but 4" and chambered for .38 Special (saw on on GB) and a .38 Lawman and I should be OK for a while!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Currently have two......gave My original (a 1978 with 6"bbl) Trooper Mark III to My son.

Here's My 1971 Trooper Mark III 6"

Here's My 1981 Trooper Mark III 8"

1 - 20 of 39 Posts