Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what it is but it seems to be made in the 1800s and might be for playing cards.

It is a two piece tin a little larger than a playing card. It contains a two prong all metal fork with a hoop at the bottom. Kinda like a miniature hotdog skewer with a ring at the bottom of the handle.

The seller believes it was a gift that colt gave to new gun purchasers.

It says on the tin:
Compliments
Col. SAM L COLT Pat. F.A. Co.
London

I have no idea what it is but I want it.

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
pictures :bang_wall:

Reactions: bearcat6

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Without photos, it's anyone's guess.

There are a 'lot' of spurious 'Colt' things - tins, too - many originating out of England, starting from the 1960's onward.

Colt never gave anything to new gun purchasers - especially back then - and nothing appears in Ogle's books on ephemera.

Sounds like something modern and maybe one of those odd golf tools.

Decent photos will help.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Might have been a box for targets and the fork to hold them on a line.:confused:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Owner said RIA sold one a few years back with a revolver. They listed it the same as he has his listed. He bought his at an estate sale and cannot confirm its authenticity but is almost certain its real. However, he said his is made of tin and the one RIA sold was listed as brass.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Here is the pic, posting on behalf of member Biffjohanson:
I would seriously doubt it is what it looks like, but being a guitarist most of my adult life, I think it might be a "tuning fork"!

Now, why the hell Colt would be giving one of these away, I have not a clue! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
Resized_20171029_171945.jpeg

intended for "trick" shooting, as you would push the wire holder into something soft
like the ground or fence rail,
and then place the playing cards on top.

Resized_20171029_171945 - Copy.jpeg

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no idea what its worth. The seller doesn't know either. He is selling it for what he paid. He seems to be a really credible person.
What would you guys feel comfortable paying?

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
I believe the "ring" was a double ring similar to that on a key chain and a playing card would be slid in between the two rings and the two prongs could be stuck into the soft cedar rails of a fence for target shooting at the playing card.

Bud

Here is the pic, posting on behalf of member Biffjohanson:

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
I like how they 'aged' it - rusty interior - rust-stained exterior with rusted corner - no discoloration of the lettering...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts