Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Smith people! Common man’s guns. God bless Sam Colt. Seems everyone is seeking older Smiths instead of new ones. Colts are the masterpieces of revolvers since many years ago. No one believed they would never produce da revolvers again. Surprise!

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Have you priced the many, many models of S&W revolvers? They cost about 75% or less of the price of the few Colts being made. And their quality, fit and finish is still very good, they never stopped making them.
The main reasons people may want an older Smith is no lock on it, and trying to speculate on investment. I've always liked Colts and hardly ever bought a Smith in many decades of buying them. But they make a fine line of guns. If any gun is "common" it's a Ruger of the big 3. America has so few gun companies today, I'm not going to knock any that are making guns out of steel still.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
just purchased a S&W 686 with a Burris 2x ler scope , very accurate , this is a no dash but has been sent back to Smith for a recall back in the day. very smooth action and easy on the recoil.
I'm still a colt man but have always admired the 686 looks and the Smith action

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The Smith people! Common man’s guns. God bless Sam Colt. Seems everyone is seeking older Smiths instead of new ones. Colts are the masterpieces of revolvers since many years ago. No one believed they would never produce da revolvers again. Surprise!
I bought a little engraved 22 rimfire S&W 1st Model 3rd Issue. In cleaning this new discovery, I was impressed with the high quality machining on such as the sideplate and sideplate cutout in the frame. The precision fit of that sideplate was so good that it would easily hold a 100 Psi hydro test.

Colt and S&W held a steady course, with both lasting well over 100 years. In contrast, such as Remington fouled up in the 1870's and were in receivership by 1886.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
While I like Colts I also collect other makes. S&W guns are great fun to collect as there are more to choose from and the early ones have great fit and finish. I have a good number of both Colts and Smiths. Below is one of my favorite S&W handguns.

View attachment 701401
Mike,
Nice HD and picture box! The humpback hammer is a cool option.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Have you priced the many, many models of S&W revolvers? They cost about 75% or less of the price of the few Colts being made. And their quality, fit and finish is still very good, they never stopped making them.
The main reasons people may want an older Smith is no lock on it, and trying to speculate on investment. I've always liked Colts and hardly ever bought a Smith in many decades of buying them. But they make a fine line of guns. If any gun is "common" it's a Ruger of the big 3. America has so few gun companies today, I'm not going to knock any that are making guns out of steel still.
Can not run fast enough to give me a pistol with a lock on it or if it is striker fired period. Yuck!

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
The Smith people! Common man’s guns. God bless Sam Colt.
Expressing one’s preference at the expense of someone or something else has become a very unpleasant feature of our national character. Regarding two companies that have both been part of our national firearms history for over a century and a half, it’s just silly.

Both companies have had their ups and downs. As an example, and looking at the people who actually used the guns, as opposed to collectors swooning, Colt managed to dominate the military and law enforcement markets before WW II, but then got completely creamed by S&W in the police market starting in the late 1940s, ultimately by a factor of 10 or so. And we better not get into the corporate follies of either company and their parents over time.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Well said, that's worth remembering, "Expressing one’s preference at the expense of someone or something else has become a very unpleasant feature of our national character." It's the "us against them" thing that dominates every aspect of our lives. It's a deep, tribal instinct with some to think everyone else is different, and therefore not as good as "my tribe."

And another thing, you're expected to "take sides" and match up ALL the "us" beliefs, or it messes with people's minds. If you like guns, you're expected to like just one type of gun. And music, and food, and attitudes on current events, and the environment, and ....see what I mean?

Case study: I remember when I was shopping for a new motorcycle, in about 1987. The Harley Sportster was a great buy, so I started looking at them. But I realized you had to accept an entire life style if you bought one. No more helmet, pitch it. No sport-touring jacket, must buy a leather jacket with fringe and an eagle on the back. And so on. I decided to do the avante guarde and buy a BMW. When I moved West and everyone rode horses, I bought mules. I tried to stay outside the tribal groups by liking what no one else wanted.

I think that's why a lot of people got into old Colts. They're different from other guns, not as popular today as black plastic, and they have a aura of quality. That's why I decided to focus on them in the 80s, and still do. But I know there were a LOT of very nice guns made in the 20th century, so I don't turn my nose up at any - if they are wood and steel. I do shun plastic and modern.....So I have that tribal thing going too.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Colt makes the best revolver no doubt, i got about 6 revolvers makes by Colt.
And yeah the new 2020 Colts are not bad.
Both Colt and S&W have made some dogs no doubt and both have made some excellent pistols and revolvers, and a blanket statement that one makes the best revolver is simply opinion. Just my opinion, but I think the S&W Registered Magnum was the pinnacle of revolver production.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I grew up a Smith guy when most all of them were "pinned and recessed". I never thought that would be a thing. My grail gun was a target Triple Lock, perhaps the finest over-built revolver ever made. Even then I had to acknowledge Colt's iconic handguns like the 1911, SAA and Python. I grew to appreciate both. Now my grail gun is a pre-war Super Match but I'm not holding my breath, I'll be content with my 1938 National Match and my 1957 .44 Magnum.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
I didn’t read all posts but you have to look at years vs years. Is a python better fit and finish than a 27-2,,, probably by a hair. 27-3 and later, no contest, still a good gun but not same category as a python in general. Exceptions to every rule of course. I’ve owned my share of pythons and I’ve never had one built as well as my pre-27. I’ve never owned a Reg Mag but they suppose to be a step up. Triple lock target, I pretty much know I’ll never own one of those.

The colts and Smiths of today pale in comparison to the older ones. Can’t stand lock guns myself, reasons I won’t go into again because I’ve covered it a couple times of my late 2.5 inch 66 I had-total junk. An RG was better built, by the way if I had a choice between a blade or an RG, I’ll take the blade!
I buy old pinned smiths because I like them. I think they are a fantastic gun for a reasonable price, not really for investment. Anyone ever wore one out? If looking for investment, probably need to get into the pre-war NIB category, have lots of $$$$, and good we’ll up kept storage with security systems/cameras.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I've owned probably an equal number of Colts and S&Ws over the past half century, old and new. A lot of things factored in to what I bought and why including caliber, finish, history, size, sometimes a combination of all.

I will say that the finest workmanship I've ever seen in any firearms came between about 1895 to 1917. Grand-dad's Colt New service made in 1904 is a prime example. Machining and hand work so fine you have to look close to find the sideplate lines sometimes.

It's all in what the individual likes, I wouldn't have an engraved gun myself. Nickle?..Not me. Steer grips with ruby eyes?..Nope! I like a dull mat finish, good comfortable grips, natural pointability, and useable fixed sights. Sometimes it's a S&W, sometimes it's a Colt...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts