Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, emotion aside, why do you think a python is better that the n frmae model 27 smith? or maybe it isn't. Be curious on feedback with facts, err, not emotion. I have both revolvers and like them both.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
the mod 27 is a fine revolver, i own a 6 in nickle 27-2 in near mint condition. the python is the worlds finest production revolver, i also own a 1961 python. it`s a ex- duty gun with quite a bit of holster wear.if you use your python enough to wear off the blue just e-mail me, i`ll trade you a near mint 27 for it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif need i say more

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I don't. I have several of both and have been shooting 30 plus years. The Python is a beautiful, well made revolver as is the 27s and pre 27s of late 50s. The Colt is much quicker to come out of time than the S&W. The S&W has a slightly larger, thus stronger frame and can better sustain the heavy loads for a longer time. I love shooting and handling them both. Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
the s&w does not go out of time{easily} because the hand is spring assisted, so are rg`s, iver johnsons, h&r`s ect.it is the CHEAPEST way to assemble a revolver without careful hand fitting.the s&w`s internal parts are skin hardened sintered metal. the colt`s are forged , hardened and tempered steel.again the s&w is cheaper to produce.the s&w turns the cyl and the bullet the wrong way, poor planning and lack of attn. to details. the s&w relies on the weakest part to effect lock, the ejector rod, that thing that sometimes backs out a turn and locks up the gun. the colt will function just fine without one.the colt was not meant to be cost competitive but the best regardless of cost.the s&w was designed to be cheaper than the colt, and it has been for over 100 yrs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The Python is the finest .357 magnum medium frame revolver and the M27 is the finest .357 magnum large frame revolver. Anything else would be like looking at apples to oranges because they are 2 different class revolvers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The Python is the finest .357 magnum medium frame revolver and the M27 is the finest .357 magnum large frame revolver. Anything else would be like looking at apples to oranges because they are 2 different class revolvers.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a 59 year old man who has always had a lot of S&W's and who has also recently discovered some of the great Colts I've been thinking about a response to this thread. I could not say it better than Majic. They are both great guns but I find them to be totally different guns. There is room for both in my collection. As a shooter I would not care to part with either gun.
Tom

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Not better...Just different. The 27 is built on the larger and heavier S&W 'N' frame. A better comparison would be the S&W model 586 built on the medium size 'L' frame. The S&W action will probably withstand abusive treatment better than the Colt but given reasonable care and ammunition diets both will give you long service. The S&W action is less complicated and easier to repair, but can hardly be defined as cheaply made. Good Colt smiths outside of the factory, to be trusted with a Python, are few and far between.
Accuracy on my guns is equal with loads matched to the individual guns, but I would give the Python a slight edge on overall accuracy with a broad range of ammo...but not enough to really raise the eyebrows.
The Python will probably get more votes in a beauty contest.
The only solution is to buy at least one of each.... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
132 Posts
One thing the 27 has going for it in my opinion is a better selection of barrel lengths. I'm particularly fond of the Smith 3.5, 5, and 6.5" barrels on the 27.

Both nice guns, though.

Bill

·
Registered
154 Posts
Which gun you find more visually appealing or which trigger pull (stacking or non stacking) you like better is personal preference but one thing is sure, getting V-spring Colt's serviced is only going to get more difficult. I guess in the future Python's and Model 27's will be sitting in safes and people will only be shooting ss guns with MIM parts and internal locks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I guess in the future Python's and Model 27's will be sitting in safes and people will only be shooting ss guns with MIM parts and internal locks

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me, My Python and Model 27's get shot regularly and will continue to do so.
Tom

·
Registered
154 Posts
Tom, Good for you shooting your guns. My wife and I run 500-600 rounds/month thru our Python & 27....can't take the things with you.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Re: why do you think a python is better than an S&

I like the Smith & Wesson Model 27 best. I actually think it is the better looking of the two. A six-inch Model 27 is better balanced to me than a six-inch Python. I feel that the Model 27 is the more robust revolver of the two. I've owned a Model 27 for years but have never owned a Python. I hope to rectify this soon and purchase a really nice example of a Python. I've shot others' Pythons on a number of occasions and they are quite nice. Especially the triggers. I don't care for the full lug barrel or the rib on the Python.

I like the looks of the Colt DA revolvers that have the unshrouded ejector rods and no vent rib. Understated elegence, ahhh...

·
Registered
2 Posts

I just signed into the forum, and it's great to see such a good discussion on Colts.

After reading all the replies to this subject, I thought the best comparison to a Python is a S&W 586. The time frames/spans are slightly off, but probably the most appropriate comparison is to an L frame.

I have a 686 and Python. I actually bought the Smith just to compare it. Oh yeah, I also just love 6" revolvers.

·
Registered
345 Posts

I've taken a 686 out to compare with a Python and it held as good of groups as a Python.The Pythons action was the tie-breaker is all.That shows me that the Smiths are for the por folks and the Colts are for those with a bit more money to spend.Kinda like they make chebbys and cadilacs for two different set of people. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
the s&w turns the cyl and the bullet the wrong way, poor planning and lack of attn. to details. the s&w relies on the weakest part to effect lock, the ejector rod, that thing that sometimes backs out a turn and locks up the gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I know the Smith cylinders turn the opposite way, but why is that an inferior design?
2. Smiths lock at the cylinder breech with a post in the ejector rod rather than the Colt's frame mounted post. Why is that not as strong?

Just curious. I never really thought much about this. I had to get out my one Smith and check it out.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
to open a s&w which way do you push the cyl? to the left correct. which direction does the right side mounted hand push the cyl?? why to the left. now compare the colt, the left side mounted hand pushes the cyl in the same direction you push to close it, to the right. that rock solid lock of the colt is no accident but the result of carefull planning.the s&w revolver with a bent rod, or one that has backed out a 1/4 turn is a poor club but that is all it is, a club. the weakest most easily damaged part is absolutely required for the gun to lock/fire. that is the reason most s&w rods are shrouded.the colt will fire with out the rod.surely anyone can see the the clever, logical thought behind the colt design.

·
Registered
267 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an exceptionally well thought out and insightful view of the problem. It should be "sticky-ed" because its the truth.

I shoot both types, S&W's from the original Registered Magnum up to my Pre-27's (I do not buy numbered N frames other than 610's), and Pythons. They are different beasts all together.

The Python is a great gun, easy to carry, accurate and more "lively" for quick movements on targets. The big N frames like the Registered Magnum are works of art, accurate, easy to shoot and they belong on a bullseye range. Mine are all exceptionally accurate.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The problem with comparing a Python to a 686 is that most Pythons were built when careful hand fitting and finishing was the norm, while most 686s are fairly recent and I think most of us will agree that even Smith & Wesson doesn't spend the time on fit and polish that they used to, so 686s aren't a smooth as the earlier guns. Perhaps a vintage Combat Magnum (Model 19) would be the better comparison, although it's not as sturdy as a Python. I guess, really, there is no S&W model that matches up perfectly with the Python. I've owned 19s, 27s, Pythons, Diamondbacks and a Trooper and I've always found the S&Ws more comfortable to shoot due to the backstrap to trigger distance and geometry.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts