Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to think the Colt Single Action Army pistols (brand new) were about $1000. And even that I thought a little high but might be okay if I didn't have the option of buying a Uberti replica at half the cost.

But it seems now they are like $2600 or more. That's insane. Why would a shooter want to buy a gun at such outrageous prices. No gun, in my self-defense or even collector-that-likes-to-use-classic-guns can be justified at more than $1200. (and that, to me, is the high end.).

So unless you are looking for a safe-sitter to talk about at parties and have a lot of play money to throw around, I'm just not seeing it.

I know it's "made in the USA" and is a classic American Handgun (no doubt of that), it's hand fitted by craftsmen...but if American labor costs that much...it's overrated.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think the $2600.00 price in the OP is from people on auction sites looking for the right buyer, or very hopeful sellers. You can find new ones at a much lower cost. Colt is still making them as a regular production item, but not in the Custom Shop. I've seen two posts recently on other forums about someone buying a new one at their local gun shop.

As to what they're worth, it's whatever people are willing to pay, just like everything else. It's not something you need, it's something you want. If having one made by Colt is worth it to a buyer, then what they pay is what it is worth it to them. If all another person cares about is price, it may not be. To each their own.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I can sympathize with the OP - I know the feeling. Some of us I know have gone on the deal prowl - in entails very active scanning of a variety of gun classifieds, shops and all venues of opportunity. I got pretty lucky in local classifieds. The threads regarding people finding wild deals through friends or even garage sales (?!) can certainly induce envy, but it also shows that reasonable deals do exist out there. Gunbroker is definitely a medium that takes full market advantage of supply and demand.

I too always wanted a genuine Colt SAA, and when I got very serious about it, it was quite a sticker shock for me as well. Honestly, the new Ubertis are pretty nice. I was handling the Taylor's and Co samples at the gunshow this weekend, and I was really impressed. They were gorgeous and the prices were very nice as well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You could find them new for under $2,000 earlier this year with a couple minutes of searching. I doubt the market has changed that much over the last couple of months.

I've had my eyes one for years but never bought one. I traded into an Uberti El Patron earlier this year and it has satisfied my want for a SAA. It's not a Colt but you can actually shoot it and not feel guilty about hurting the value.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
For the afore mentioned $2,600.00 a fairly nice first generation Colt Single Action Army can be had, and in the caliber and barrel length desired.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Why are some Ford pickups $65,000 ? Because there are enough people out there that will pay that much. Whether I would buy it or not and whether I think it is too high doesn't influence the market at all.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Back in 1981, 1982, after Colt announced that they were discontinuing the SAA I went on the hunt for one. My nephew was stationed near Houston and he found one in a gun store down there for $425.00 and I jumped on it. Of course Colt changed their mind after that. That was the least expensive one that I have by a long shot.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
My first "new" colt saa was a 4 3/4" blue & case .44 special I bought in 1984 for about $450. I haven't shot it much and it still looks new. Around the early 1990`I bought another in .45 colt also in 4 3/4" with the walnut grips used but looked brand new for about $650. Both still look new. I have smiths in those calibers that I shoot more plus a few clones and Rugers.
Think its about time to start running them as I am closing in on 77. Some unworthy might get them cheap and happily blast away and scuff them up giggling! I also have a couple 1st generations.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
As much as I love my SAAs, there's no way that I would buy a new one for current retail, let alone the inflated prices many seem to be going for. If I have that much $$ for a new to me gun, I'll be looking for 1st or 2nd gens. You can start to find some decent earlier SAAs and Bisleys at that price level.

Colt doesn't have to worry about discontinuing the SAA, there're just going to price it out of existence.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I paid $1300 for mine in 2012. Well worth it. You can find them for much less than 2600. Collectors firearms in Houston has several 3rd gens and even 2 1st gens for under 2 grand. They even have a col colt sesquicentinnial SAA for less than 1500

Col. Colt Sesquicentennial Commemorative for sale.

Even gunbroker tends to have SAAs less than 2 grand on em and I believe guns international does as well. Especially if you are willing to buy a .357 model.

Now for the 2nd part of your question? Are they worth it? In my opinion they are vastly superior to a Uberti or a Ruger Blackhawk. I also find them to be superior to the guns produced by USFA. So yes, to me they are definitely worth it for the quality, craftsmanship, and history of the firearm.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Look what people are paying for Pythons, ridiculous!
Or King Cobras or Anacondas or Boas - all the same mass produced, little-to-no-hand-fitting needed revolvers. None of these guns have any historical significance. And yet they command prices that have sustained or appreciated at levels that dwarf the SAA.

This used to bother me. But the reality is once a person has an AR, a Glock and a shotgun - a trio one can acquire for under $2,000 - it becomes pretty hard to say anything is "worth" spending money on another. In other words, everything after that is a discretionary toy.

Beyond that, SAAs are primarily collectibles. Collectibles simply exist in a pure supply/demand economy. Value is determined by virtually no other factors - but the things that influence the demand are beyond more than basic comprehension. Legend, myth and ego often influence more than anything else.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Only $65,000? Try a top-of-the-line F-450 at $100,000! And someone buys them.
The Ford F-150 defines the pickup that everybody drives. Very few F-450 everyday drivers. Or if just price alone, the Ford GT is in the $450,000 list neighborhood, and you probably couldn't buy one for list.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I know of a 3rd generation with a 7 1/2" barrel, .44-40, blued, with light turn marks. I'm guessing it could be had for $1600. Not sure if it has original box or not. For sale nearly a month...and it hasn't moved...yet. Seems to me sellers can ask what they want, but a buyer at over $1500 only comes along when in desperation.

Of course, this is for sale locally and not nationally.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts