Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
They are very well built and beautiful. But for their price you can have a "real" Colt. I have a Standard 1911 that is just beautiful with CCH and engraving. Nothing even comes close to it with all the other 1911's I own. Standard makes some very nice things...and let us hope they can continue to thrive. But I seriously love my Colts then next on my list are Uberti's, for SAA's.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
I like them very much but I have a limited budget. They are not something I would want to tear up in CAS, and if I'm going to invest $2K, it's going to be towards a 1st Gen Colt. Cozmo was a huge fan of USFA, but he will tell you that Standard doesn't pay attention to the little detail as well as USFA did. The first Standard SAR even came with USFA branded test targets. Some former USFA and Colt employees work there so there the disconnect is puzzling.

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,915 Posts
I have 2, a 2019 blue/cch 4.75 in .45LC that is my shooter and a 2020 custom order nickel 4.75 in 44 WCF which is the safe queen. Guns are well made and beautiful and definitely worth having one in your stable. Lately I've been on a USFA kick, it's my new obsession. I love them all and can be objective about it since I own several 1st and 3rd gen Colts, several USFA's as well as Uberti's and Standards.
I am seriously considering sending the nickel 44 to John Adams to be engraved, B+ or C level, but still pondering it.
44 WCF
Wheel Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Art
Wheel Tire Vehicle Toy Motor vehicle
Trigger Air gun Wood Gas Auto part
Musical instrument Wood Toy String instrument accessory String instrument
Bicycle part Tool Automotive exhaust Bicycle fork Air gun

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
I have 2, a 2019 blue/cch 4.75 in .45LC that is my shooter and a 2020 custom order nickel 4.75 in 44 WCF which is the safe queen. Guns are well made and beautiful and definitely worth having one in your stable. Lately I've been on a USFA kick, it's my new obsession. I love them all and can be objective about it since I own several 1st and 3rd gen Colts, several USFA's as well as Uberti's and Standards.
I am seriously considering sending the nickel 44 to John Adams to be engraved, B+ or C level, but still pondering it.
44 WCF
Can you post an image of the top of the barrel showing the address and of the hammer knurling?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Yep..that is one nice looking gun! Are those some of Paul's grips or did it come from SM with them? I dont know much about engraved guns but, I thought they had to be engraved before the nickel plating is applied. I sure like the way it looks as-is personally.
No, the grips are bonded ivory, they look just like Altamont but I can't confirm where they came from. I ordered it with the ivory and they feel, weight and texture, just like the Altamont grips on my Magnum Scout. As far as the engraving goes it would be replated after engraving. Which doesn't bother me considering it is a new gun. I don't mind customizing a ' keeper ' gun, but I have to weigh out the pros and cons of doing it, besides I just got a gun for an engraving project. :giggle: :giggle:. That is after I shoot it for a year first.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
I have a blue and cased, 4 3/4", 45. It is at best ho-humm compared to other expensive SAAs I own. Like USFA before them they claimed a lot of things from the get go and then IMO under delivered. May be they'll get better at building a high quality gun but from what I have seen recently it aint happening yet, with many details lacking or just poorly done.

·
Premium Member
8,182 Posts
I still haven’t sprung for a standard SA yet.. don’t know if I will. somehow I didn’t jump when they were first released because I’m sure my excitement was high at the time, but somehow I did not. maybe the money was reallocated elsewhere at the time. forum member reviews from the tough (tell it like it is) , knowledgable, experienced were somewhat flat.
unlike Colt SAA and USFA, I felt like if they decided to drop production, I wasn’t missing out on an instant collectible, highly sought after , gun I guess. they don’t seem to be all that available even before the current national gun situation.
not to beat the product up, I would probably like one.. but just trying to explain the intial question from my perspective. The love just never got off the ground .. didn’t go away, just never showed up to develop.
another thing, Colt SAA’s have the Colt name to make announcements and little production maintaining the highest price. Standard Manufacturing seemed to be following the same suite , IMO, but the name and nostalgic following isn’t established to support the same MSRP. Not that I’m right about any of that, but that’s the explanation for my lack of excitement.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
I still haven’t sprung for a standard SA yet.. don’t know if I will. somehow I didn’t jump when they were first released because I’m sure my excitement was high at the time, but somehow I did not. maybe the money was reallocated elsewhere at the time. forum member reviews from the tough (tell it like it is) , knowledgable, experienced were somewhat flat.
unlike Colt SAA and USFA, I felt like if they decided to drop production, I wasn’t missing out on an instant collectible, highly sought after , gun I guess. they don’t seem to be all that available even before the current national gun situation.
not to beat the product up, I would probably like one.. but just trying to explain the intial question from my perspective. The love just never got off the ground .. didn’t go away, just never showed up to develop.
another thing, Colt SAA’s have the Colt name to make announcements the little production maintaining the highest price. Standard Manufacturing seemed to be following the same suite , IMO, but the name and nostalgic following isn’t established to support the same MSRP. Not that I’m right about any of that, but that’s the explanation for my lack of excitement.
I think you hit the nail right on the head. My sentiments too. ^^^^

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
"It seems to be a nice product,but most of us look at guns in this price range as “investments”"

I'd like to see a poll on this, I've never considered any gun to be a financial investment.
Exactly, it's a NEW gun, not anywhere near being considered an investment. The guns I look at as investment grade are rare and antique like Colt cavalry models that are original. If these, and that's a big if, become collectibles someday it should be considered a bonus. It shouldn't be the reason for buying one, I'm sure people don't by Uberti guns thinking investment.

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
Reactions: 1stgen1916saa
1 - 20 of 51 Posts