Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry. Couldn’t think of a better title.

Its always cool to see an old SAA come across my bench. I do my best to rustle in every one I can to make notes and take photos. This one is from 1884.

The action felt fine. I always stop if there’s any resistance to avoid causing damage. This one had 4 very soft clicks and felt spongy.

After opening it up I found out why!!
The best I can describe is Form-A-Gasket filled the interior of the frame, all the way up ahd into the hand slot. It was cured and still pliable.

Action is fine other than sloppiness from over-finishing and re-nickeling through the years.

What could be the reason behind this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Probably a mix of old grease and dirt/dust. That stuff will wreck almost everything as it works as a coarse lapping compound. As to why? Possibly corrosion protection.
I know one guy that 'tunes' C&B revolvers and he also pumps the action full of Mobil 1 grease, calling it a 'sealed action'. Keeps the blackpowder fouling out of the action. Can't say I'd try it on my own revolvers.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I read a post on another forum where a guy made a statement about "packing the action" on cap guns. I asked him to explain. He said filling the action with grease prevented dust and water (from cleaning after shooting black powder) from getting into the action.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Probably a mix of old grease and dirt/dust. That stuff will wreck almost everything as it works as a coarse lapping compound. As to why? Possibly corrosion protection.
I know one guy that 'tunes' C&B revolvers and he also pumps the action full of Mobil 1 grease, calling it a 'sealed action'. Keeps the blackpowder fouling out of the action. Can't say I'd try it on my own revolvers.
Oops! 1:30am and I didn't absorb your post too well. Your guy is likely my guy.

Any historical evidence that filling the action with grease was practiced in the black powder revolver era? May have been some benefits when wearing a gun when the gun in the outdoors for extended time.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Oops! 1:30am and I didn't absorb your post too well. Your guy is likely my guy.

Any historical evidence that filling the action with grease was practiced in the black powder revolver era? May have been some benefits when wearing a gun when the gun in the outdoors for extended time.
I'd doubt it, but finding evidence would be next to impossible as the grease would probably the first to after a clean-up.

Your previous post about preventing fouling and water from entering the mechanism does sound reasonable, especially with the Colts and their hammer channels.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just when you thought you had seen everything, Bubba goes to a new level.

Like when I was in aircraft design and the boss said to idiot-proof the design. My response was to which level of idiocy, yesterdays or tomorrows? Didn't matter, since he was in both groups.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Years back I was the go-to guy to fix 22s that stopped feeding. Common story was, "I squirted WD40 in it and it would work for a few shots.". In every case the insides were packed with black sludge that looked like came out of a spittoon. A good cleaning put them back into service.

When I got into Cowboy Action Shooting a few years back, I bought a used Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt. It looked new on the outside. But when I took it apart, the insides were caked with black gunk. Looked like a Kentucky coal mine. Same deal. Shoot black powder, clean the bore and wipe down outside and flood action with Ballistol.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The question is, is Bill referring to the white compound that appears to be a gasket compound used in auto repair or the black grease compound seen in the works. I assume he meant the white compound.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Like when I was in aircraft design and the boss said to idiot-proof the design. My response was to which level of idiocy, yesterdays or tomorrows? Didn't matter, since he was in both groups.
Examples are everywhere...make something idiot proof and before long they invent a whole new idiot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts