Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This, this is why WE are so enamored with the Colt Single Action Army.

A shot of John Wayne and Kirk Douglas in the movie ‘War Wagon’
Here Douglas says “mine hit the ground first” John Wayne relies: mine was taller.
It’s the epitome of comparing one’s manhood in a comical way.

It conjures up images and fantasy of being the good guy or the antagonist in the Old West - staving off the bad guys overrunning the town or saving the beauty in distress.

This is why we spend money that could put a new car in the driveway.

Hat Sun hat Smile Headgear Performing arts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Ah yes, the "recoilless" SAA's of Hollywood!! If anything, Hollywood has done a larger disservice through 100 yrs. of BS cinema gunplay that many lap up like a drug and then carry those stereotypical beliefs onto a jury. "John Wayne never shot anyone more than once, by God!!".

Go shoot a few cylinders of full bore blackpowder loads thru a SAA and then try and watch a Western with a straight face. It's all horses%^. :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
We all know Wayne was a very big man, with very large hands . . . .yet . . . .
Notice how BOTH Wayne and Douglas have ALL their fingers on the grip, AND have the second joint of their trigger finger on the trigger. (Sorta’ like a death grip.)
When I shoot my SA’s, my pinky is UNDER the grip while my FIRST pad of my trigger finger is on the trigger.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
Kids Saturday Matinee at a little movie house 4 blocks from my house cost a quarter with popcorn a dime more. A lot of Cowboy movies, usually older, cartoons and comedies. Nearly every Saturday I could come up with thirty five cents. Paper route, mowing lawns, etc. Then I got hold of a Hahn BB six shooter, then the Crossman Pellet model. Made my first fast draw holster out of a '40's era first baseman's glove. Never looked back.
Did anyone notice that John Wayne is wearing his Red River belt buckle? I wear mine just about every day. Not a single person has a clue to what it is. That looks like John Wayne's personal gun and holster that recently sold at auction.
Didn't John Ford get those made for key cast members of Stagecoach?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Here's a good read on the belt buckle. John Wayne wore it in 9 movies I believe. Stagecoach is usually mentioned in the story but it was because that's what started these iconic movies( I believe)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Kids Saturday Matinee at a little movie house 4 blocks from my house cost a quarter with popcorn a dime more. A lot of Cowboy movies, usually older, cartoons and comedies. Nearly every Saturday I could come up with thirty five cents. Paper route, mowing lawns, etc. Then I got hold of a Hahn BB six shooter, then the Crossman Pellet model. Made my first fast draw holster out of a '40's era first baseman's glove. Never looked back.

Didn't John Ford get those made for key cast members of Stagecoach?
Howard Hawks

·
Registered
12,663 Posts
Yes...Howard Hawks did that for "Red River"...when John Wayne started producing his own movies he kept it up for cast and crew members. I've never seen an original one come up for sale...depending on the movie they would likely bring a nice price.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
It's not the TV and Movies cowboys who attract me to the guns but the real men who used and carried them during the last period of time when men could be free to make their own way. Whether Soldier, Outlaw, or Lawman these were real people creating a special time in history that has stood the test of time and remains popular and still calls many to relive those days. The mans guns were part of his person attire and depended on in times of need. A real life link to those moments in time that will live on forever in history.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It's not the TV and Movies cowboys who attrat me to the guns but the real men who used and carried them during the last period of time when men could be free to make their own way. Whether Soldier, Outlaw, or Lawman these were real people creating a special time in history that has stood the test of time and remains popular and still calls many to relive those days. The mans guns were part of his person attire and depended on in times of need. A real life link to those moments in time that will live on forever in history.
Great point Mikebiker but it's a combination of both for me. Those wonderful westerns and WW2 movies that I grew up with pushed me to not only fall in love with the firearms but to research the truth behind the legends. Of course the still pics help but not as much as watching the movies. Plus then trying to figure out what's period correct in the movies is fun too.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
To SuperDave and Mikebiker, your sentiments are both right on IMHO, they are the heart of why we, as I believe, maybe the last of any generation to actually understand and treasure the historical aspect of the western movie genre!
And to appreciate the romantic aspects of the history of the Colt, be it percussion and/or cartridge!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
And to appreciate the romantic aspects of the history of the Colt, be it percussion and/or cartridge!
I agree about those Colt percussion guns too. I just didn't want to get of topic too much. I almost mentioned the movie Gettysburg. I believe seeing living history helps understand some aspects of it.
Besides didn't Doc Holiday carry a 1851 Colt navy and Wild Bill Hickok carry 38 cal conversion Colt

1 - 20 of 74 Posts