Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Ah yes, the "recoilless" SAA's of Hollywood!! If anything, Hollywood has done a larger disservice through 100 yrs. of BS cinema gunplay that many lap up like a drug and then carry those stereotypical beliefs onto a jury. "John Wayne never shot anyone more than once, by God!!".

Go shoot a few cylinders of full bore blackpowder loads thru a SAA and then try and watch a Western with a straight face. It's all horses%^. :rolleyes: ;)
Must be true. I've seen a professional gun writer write that the 45 colt is a "recoiless round". Well, published anyways, kind of a stretch to call that kind of dumb "professional".

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I read somewhere in the past that the dialog:
"Mine hit the ground first"
"Mine was taller"
wasn't actually in the script.
As matter of fact, we have "The War Wagon" DVR'ed and I watched the beginning up to the end of that scene.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
That’s a pretty nice looking full rough out Ojala rig Kirk Douglas is wearing. as I recall it was Bruce Dern and John Wayne’s long time stunt double being the guys they kill in that scene. Dern got his revenge on both guys later. He kills John Wayne in The Cowboys and killed kirk’s political career in a western called Posse, I think.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I remember my first Cowboy Action Shooting match. The line was to say a line from your favorite western movie. I said, "Their's nothing you can say or do that'll change my mind." The timer operator just stood there not acknowledging that I'd said my line. Finally he said, "Shooter Ready", and started the timer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's a good read on the belt buckle. John Wayne wore it in 9 movies I believe. Stagecoach is usually mentioned in the story but it was because that's what started these iconic movies( I believe)
I enjoyed reading that story. Thank you

·
Registered
994 Posts
I remember my first Cowboy Action Shooting match. The line was to say a line from your favorite western movie. I said, "Their's nothing you can say or do that'll change my mind." The timer operator just stood there not acknowledging that I'd said my line. Finally he said, "Shooter Ready", and started the timer.
That’s to cool, didn’t you just love the “pregnant “ pause prior to the draw!;)
We didn’t start that for at least the first 2 to3 years of EOT. It seemed to help new shooters get past the “shakes” lol, didn’t help me in the least LOL:rolleyes:
Wes Terner SASS36 life aka Dennis R Mader

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yep, I read that when they wanted a character to shoot fast, they went to New Service Colts (like in the picture above) to do that. In some cases, they actually attached an ejector rod to make them look authentic. In "Gunman's Walk" the man's gun is a New Service with an ejector rod but he swings out the cylinder to reload.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
A good example of that was when Broderick Crawford was cast as a gunfighter,when he was walking around he was packing a SA,when it came time to shoot they had to give him a DA because he couldn't shoot a SA.
Same with Paul Newman. In “Butch Cassidy” where they kill all those bandits he’s fanning his hand over a CoLt New Service that he’s shooting DA. Redford did much better, being in the foreground fanning an actual SA. A gun we discussed here you might have made the grips for, Jim. As well as Newman’s.Newman needed a Colt DA at the end of Hombre, too.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts