Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a C&R license holder and have noticed numerous Gunbroker sellers will not accept this for shipment of a qualifying firearm. I figure if they will not accept my license, they do not need my business; but have wondered why they stipulate this. Does anyone know the reason?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I am a C&R license holder and have noticed numerous Gunbroker sellers will not accept this for shipment of a qualifying firearm. I figure if they will not accept my license, they do not need my business; but have wondered why they stipulate this. Does anyone know the reason?
Fear, ignorance, grumpiness, one bad experience, who knows? Fortunately, I have a nearby LGS where I consign firearms and they are gracious to legally transfer inbounds to my C&R.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Being that State and Local laws can be all over the place, (right or wrong) I can see why some people would be gun shy (unintended Pun) and not open themselves up to potential legal issues. IMHO

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Fear of the Unknown...

Most FFL holders know about 'their' piece of the action, and never even dreamed that there were other provisions, so rather than possibly screwing something up, and drawing the BATF's ire - they opt to basically ignore the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
A lot of states have laws not really recognizing 03 licenses,I don’t fault 01 FFLs not wanting to deal with them. Pete

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
From the experiences of the local gun shops the BATF may not always be right, but they are always the BATF. As StC noted, with the inconsistency of the BATF agents best to err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I think that the previous US administration's attitude towards guns, dealers, and gunsmiths may have had something to do with this.
But on the other hand you have 50 states with considerable variations in their state regulations as well as local ordinances, and an FFL would almost have to be aware of all of them in order to be compliant.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Regardless of why some do not take a C&R License it's their business; nothing says they have to do a gun transfer. Now it would be good business to do a transfer - but they're the ones who set the rules they follow. Unless you're completely in the boondocks and there isn't another gun shop for 100 miles well, you have to follow their rules!

·
Registered
736 Posts
What Terry said. Also, there is a ATF web link that allows dealers to confirm an FFL's license is good. There isn't one for the 03 C&R licenses.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
My guess would be fear of unknown like dogface said. I know My experience was. Many years ago I sold a factory engraved piece from the collection of a very well known person in the Colt field. Actually 2 well known, one made for and the next owner (Letter addressed) was too.
Anyway went like this, he bought it for a fair price at the time for both of us. He wanted my FFL to send to him on his C&R. I already stipulated it had to go to FFL before finalizing transaction. He explained all these models were classified as C&R. I had the factory letter basically stating the gun had just been assembled like 25-30 years earlier. Parts cleanup which was engraved for the Colt employee. So in my opinion it did not qualify, I could see a case for both sides. I’m not interested in proving my case on this so I said must go through FFL (both ends). My FFL didn’t feel comfortable with the situation either. He said no problem, a non issue but could have been a big one if I sent it C&R. With that situation I never felt comfortable sending to a C&R so I didn’t, always FFL to FFL if I sold anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I appreciate the responses. I’m not in the business of selling guns and certainly would not want anyone who is to get crosswise with BATFE. I still maintain if a seller won’t recognize my federally issued license on a qualifying firearm, they don’t need my business. I simply don’t place bids on items listed by sellers who stipulate this. We’re all free to make our own choices.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have actually passed on guns many times over the years because the seller wouldn't accept my C&R FFL. May sound silly but sometimes adding the extra transfer fees and the time to drive to the shop and pick it up makes the good deal not so good to me. I do realize it is up to the seller after all it is their gun and business. I do no more than ask, not worth arguing over it. Sometimes they do reconsider but usually no means no..

·
Registered
181 Posts
This reluctance of FFLs to ship to C&R holders is why I’ve never felt it worthwhile to get one. Many of them won’t ship a federally recognized antique firearm (pre 1898) to a non-FFL either. As others have said, given the variations in state laws and the nature of the BATF I can’t say I blame them. And if I remember correctly, when one disposes of a C&R firearm they acquired using their 03 license they are required to get the buyer‘s name, address and DL number. A lot of buyers may be reluctant to do that so despite buying a fair number of C&R eligible firearms I never saw the advantage to having on 03 collector’s license. I’m sure others find it very useful.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's their gun and if they do not want to sell to me then that's fine.

Before I offer to buy I always ask if they will ship to me based on my 03 License. If the answer is no I thank them and simply move on. While it's often true that they really don't make it anymore it's also true that when they did make that item they made a whole passel of them.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
For the same reason some sellers demand an FFL even on a Colt percussion made in 1856. They have that right, as I do to not do business with them.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
There are several reasons why some dealers won't accept a C&R. They can range from ignorance and laziness, to CYA in the liability heavy way things are these days.
I've had my C&R license for almost 20 years now and have used it quite a bit without issues. Ultimately, if the dealer won't accept a C&R and it's something that I want, I have no problem with the gun being shipped to an FFL and getting it from them. Anyone who won't buy a gun just because the dealer won't accept a C&R, doesn't really want it.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I know of several FFL-01's that won't ship a C&R pistol to an FFL-03 because of an accumulation of bad experiences with the -03's crying and arguing about shipping costs, not knowing laws and procedures, and/or just generally being a pain in the butt... it became too much of a hassle to deal with it. There's always "that guy" that has to argue about everything and ruin it for the rest of us :) I always try to be polite and point out the legalities, and if the dealer won't ship to me on my -03 I either move on or arrange a local transfer (which sucks in MD for several reasons, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do).

·
Registered
64 Posts
As far as The state laws accept it then why not, I have had dealing with people with C&R, Ignorance truly has no cure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts