Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife\'s Detective Special

Hi I'm new to the forum. I'm not too familiar with Colt revolvers. I have several semi-autos of other makes. When I married my wife she came with a very nice seldom fired Det Spec. The gun is a 3rd issue I believe, shrouded barrel, serial # F12XXX. Anybody know when it was built? We've both shot the gun a few times over the years. I'm trying to talk her into getting her CC permit and carrying it. 2nd question: what's a good defensive ammo for this gun? I'm thinking a +p load would be too much kick for her and the short barrel. I've ordered the rubber Hogue grips because I believe they will help her. The wooden grips have always seemed to me to make the gun point too high. It seems you have to unnaturally cock your wrist forward to aim the sights. I hope the Hogue grips help. Any comments? Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,707 Posts
Re: Wife\'s Detective Special

About the most effective "snub" revolver ammo is the +P lead, semi-wadcutter, hollow-point.
If you don't like the +P, try the standard load 125 grain jacketed hollowpint. Remington is good.

Another good option on grips is the Pachmayer "Gripper" model for the DS. Although slightly larger than the usual Pachmayer round butt with the finger cutout, the Gripper really points well, and may reduce felt recoil enough that she could use +P ammo comfortably.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Your wife's D.S. was made in 1974.

I second the recommendation of the +P SWCHP load. My wife was also concerned about the increase in felt recoil over the standard pressure stuff 'til I snuck a few of the +P's in the cylinder. She barely noticed. If your wife is truly recoil sensitive, try to find some standard pressure Federal Nyclad 125gr. HP "Chiefs Special" ammo. (They're no longer for sale on the general market, but may be found on the shelves in some stores.) Of course, most practice should be done with standard pressure stuff to keep from wearing the D-frame too fast. A box or so of standards plus a couple of cylinder-fulls of +P's is my better half's normal regimen. If she's going to be carrying a spare reload (recommended, just in case) in either a speedloader or Speed Strip, have her use them for reloading while at the range so that she's used to the procedure.

My wife prefers the Pachmayr Compac grips (without finger grooves), but to each his (her!) own. Have her try 'em all and let her go with what feels best. (The worst thing to do is to try to foist something on her just 'cause it's what someone else says is "the best.")

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Wheel and Cmdr, thanks for the reply and info. I'll post results of our next range trip with the Det Spec and let you know how she does with it. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts