Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this B western book new when I was in high school. It's called "The Thrill of it All" and is packed with close up shots of western star's guns and rigs. This particular picture of Wild Bill Elliott is my favorite. Even back then I liked the two tone dye job on it. 25 or so years ago I built this double rig I post here all the time and it was inspired by this photo even though it is obviously much different. And I can't come near the work done by the likes of Ed Bohlin or whoever made Elliott's rig here. Elliott is one of my two favorite B western guys.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As a kid in the late '40s having a family just acquiring a Television I always looked forward to the Western Movies. Bill Elliot, Jimmy Ellison, Fred Scott, George Houston, Crash, Dusty, Alibi, 'course Tex, Roy, Gene, and many many others. I was truly intrigued by their holsters and belts that held their SAA Colts, Tom Mix with his Colt Double action rig. Harry Carey with his skeleton leather housing a pair of Colt SAA. I could go on and on with this topic but I doubt many have read this one so fAR. THANKS for bringing back some memories.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a kid in the late '40s having a family just acquiring a Television I always looked forward to the Western Movies. Bill Elliot, Jimmy Ellison, Fred Scott, George Houston, Crash, Dusty, Alibi, 'course Tex, Roy, Gene, and many many others. I was truly intrigued by their holsters and belts that held their SAA Colts, Tom Mix with his Colt Double action rig. Harry Carey with his skeleton leather housing a pair of Colt SAA. I could go on and on with this topic but I doubt many have read this one so fAR. THANKS for bringing back some memories.
This book I posted in The Lounge's "movie" section will really bring those memories back. It's post 213, the 3rd one down.
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/lou...ntage-movie-firearm-discussion-thread-22.html

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Cool post Wyatt! Wild Bill is my favorite too. There are so many.....Gene, Roy, Charles Starrett>The Durango Kid, Eddie Dean, Lash LaRue......et al!
If it was a cowboy movie and Saturday I was watchin somewhere!

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good to see so many other "Wild Bill" admirers here. Sometimes he packed a pair of two tone Colts which I really like just 'cause they're different.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Good to see so many other "Wild Bill" admirers here. Sometimes he packed a pair of two tone Colts which I'll really like just 'cause they're different.

That Paint he's standing next to is one of his personal horses,how many of u know his name,he was a pretty famous horse in the movie business.

·
Registered
10,852 Posts
The horse's name was "Thunder".

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
The horse's name was "Thunder".
Nope,Thunder was the black horse Wild Bill rode when he did the Red Ryder series w/Robert Blake as Little Beaver,after that series Elliott sold him to Alan "Rocky" Lane & Lane changed Thunders name to "Blackjack".Did u know that in later yrs Lane was the voice for Mr. Ed?

·
Registered
10,852 Posts
I think it's pretty well known Lane voiced Mr. Ed. Well...maybe it's well known among Studebaker people as Studebaker sponsored the show fro several years. I was into Studebakers before I was into Colts.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it's pretty well known Lane voiced Mr. Ed. Well...maybe it's well known among Studebaker people as Studebaker sponsored the show fro several years. I was into Studebakers before I was into Colts.
Talking horse or not, "Wilbur" spent too much time in the barn than with that cute wife of his. She was pretty hot. Oh. Guess I better keep this holster oriented. Here's a senorita slippin' Wild Bill's gun out of his holster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts