Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just ordered a Wiley Clapp Govt and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about the parts used in the gun? I want to do some work to it, mostly just for my own enjoyment, and was curious which parts should be the first to be replaced or what I should have my smith do first? Debur, slide/frame fit, etc., etc. I plan on shooting it quite a bit a bit before I get anything done so any other answers would be appreciated.For example would the WC be a good candidate according to this article? Building A 1911 From A Base Gun: Colt | Modern Service Weapons Thanks very much!

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
First and foremost, welcome to the Colt Forum. The WC is already a wonderful shooting machine. And while quite a few people would enjoy modifying it I think I'd prefer to leave it factory and get a less than perfect Government model to rejuvenate. Whichever way you go, report back and keep us posted. Nice to have you here!

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Why do you feel a need to screw with something that's supposedly ready to go - 'and' has a Lifetime Warranty, as-is?

The second you modify anything should void that warranty.

Find an older one - or a good frame - and do the work on it.

Or - buy the WC variant and shoot it about 1000 rounds-worth and then see if you need to modify anything.

Putting your modification money into ammunition, range time and experience will pay off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts