1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is like gambling. Shoot for a big number and wait. If it sticks, you got rich. If not, no harm and in this case no cost to list on GB until someone won the bid.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Those are very rare, just look at those amazing Colt locks. Wow. And boxes! I have one of the 1918 reissue 1911s with all the boxes, theres only 3, a brown one- a Colt blue one and a white one. Id bite the bullet and sell it for $75,000.00 as it’s only the one gun and an unused magazine but you get a lovely collection of boxes.

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
"Bryant Ridge? What happened to the penny auction?"

I believe this pair sold 8 or 9 years ago for something like $27,500 on GB. Last November they were sold by RIA for $141,000.

·
The Consummate Collector
8,080 Posts
"Bryant Ridge? What happened to the penny auction?"

I believe this pair sold 8 or 9 years ago for something like $27,500 on GB. Last November they were sold by RIA for $141,000.
Good memory Russ as they did sell on Gunbroker for the number that you mentioned and I was the buyer. I bid on them for a friend of mine who had the most complete collection of Pythons in existence. He started selling his collection off due to his age and the guns have been selling through Amoskeag Auction, where the pair did sell for $141,000. The book that Gurney Brown did on the Pythons was largely comprised of my friends collection. The current selling price is actually quite fair considering what they sold for at auction. I do not know the buyer or have any affiliation with the guns. I do remember that the pair were in the original plastic wrapping and were unturned and unfired when I bid on them.

I am not quite sure what you mean by: Are these the notorious "doctored" pair that showed up a few years ago? These guns were NIB when my friend purchased them and I can attest that they have been in a display cabinet until they went to auction last year.

Cam

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
I'd seen these earlier. I have to say, with their condition and all their "stuff" that comes with them, they are amazing...particularly if they've remained in the condition as Cam described them.

My only question(s) would be...how did Bryant Ridge get ahold of 'em, and why are they even being sold/auctioned off on a scam-ridden site like GunBroker? I don't mean to sound harsh, but GB isn't exactly my idea of the place where big-money collectors go to find guns like this. My conception of how sets like this are sold is that they're moved from one high-dollar collection to another by private sales among friends and like-minded Colt collectors, or else they end up at one of the big auction houses with well-publicized auction events. But maybe I'm looking at it wrong, I don't know. I'm sure this is all on the up and up...just saying it looks weird to me to see them on GB.

It'll be interesting to follow this sale and see where it goes. And at least this hasn't turned into another bash-Bryant-Ridge thread. Yet.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
To each their own. I can buy a new consecutive pair of 3" Pythons for slightly north of $3000.00 and have enough money left over to fill my pickup with gas.
I'm sure you could. Regular ol' Pythons are selling for $1500-$1600 around here. Thing is, they'd be the "new model" Pythons...a reissue...and they'd come in those generic blue plastic and foam "cases" that some supplier stamps out by the thousands, and the only thing special about them would be their serial numbers. And anyone else could order an identical pair. And it'd probably take a decade or two before they became worth more than ten bucks above what you paid for 'em. That's just my take on it, by the way, no offense intended. I see the new Pythons in gun shops and they all look exactly the same, right down to that stupid QR code Colt insists on stamping on their guns now. They might become a collectors item by the time our great-grandchildren are old enough to buy guns...if guns will even still be allowed by then. As you say, though, to each their own.

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess the "doctored pair" that I mentioned was another set of non-consecutive Wilkersons. It was an episode involving their questionable history of originally being SS and then mysteriously showing up as BSS. A well known dealer was suspected to be involved...

Reactions: saintclair

·
The Consummate Collector
8,080 Posts
I guess the "doctored pair" that I mentioned was another set of non-consecutive Wilkersons. It was an episode involving their questionable history of originally being SS and then mysteriously showing up as BSS. A well known dealer was suspected to be involved...
Yes, I think that these are the only consecutive pair that was made.

Cam

·
The Consummate Collector
8,080 Posts
I'd seen these earlier. I have to say, with their condition and all their "stuff" that comes with them, they are amazing...particularly if they've remained in the condition as Cam described them.

My only question(s) would be...how did Bryant Ridge get ahold of 'em, and why are they even being sold/auctioned off on a scam-ridden site like GunBroker? I don't mean to sound harsh, but GB isn't exactly my idea of the place where big-money collectors go to find guns like this. My conception of how sets like this are sold is that they're moved from one high-dollar collection to another by private sales among friends and like-minded Colt collectors, or else they end up at one of the big auction houses with well-publicized auction events. But maybe I'm looking at it wrong, I don't know. I'm sure this is all on the up and up...just saying it looks weird to me to see them on GB.

It'll be interesting to follow this sale and see where it goes. And at least this hasn't turned into another bash-Bryant-Ridge thread. Yet.
One can only guess unless they know the seller and the circumstances behind the deal. Maybe he bought them or has a customer that did and now wants to sell them. I can safely say that they were correct and new up to the point that they sold at the auction house.

Cam

1 - 20 of 30 Posts