Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen Cimarron open tops said to be .44 Colt, and other times they're advertised as ".44 Colt/Russian/Special". The gun I'm looking is said to be .44 Colt. I'm wondering if Uberti/Cimarron made .44 Colt guns accommodating the shorter (than .44 Special) case and a thinner rim that I think the .44 Colt has. Then maybe switched to .44 Spl. so it would simplify things and shoot all three. Meaning the one I'm looking at in an ad might just be .44 Colt. What do you think besides me just asking the seller which I might do? Thanks

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have been wrong before so better check what I say. 44 Colts have a smaller rim than the 44 specials so unless the gun is modified it won't shoot specials. However you can buy 44 Colt brass and load for the gun.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've heard there are both - some Ubertis in .44 Colt are that exactly, and some marked .44 Colt on the frame but .44 Special on the underside of the barrel and the cylinder is indeed chambered accordingly. You could ask the seller if it will chamber the .44 SPL?

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
For what it's worth, my repro conversion is chambered in .44 Colt and it will not chamber a .44 Special. But mine's not a uberti.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts