Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a dumb question, but will a Diamondback 4" .22 barrel fit a Trooper .22 Mark III frame? Question is that the Diamondback vent rib barrel looks like it would be slightly raised above the top of the Trooper MK III frame. I like the look of the Diamondback barrel/vent rib and would keep both barrels to return the Trooper to its original configuration if the barrel switch worked. Is this a skilled gunsmith switch, assuming thread pitch, etc. is consistent? Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
The threads are not compatible.

The Diamondback uses .5634-32 tapered threads, the Mark III and later Colt's (including the New Style Python barrels) use .562-36 threads.

It's possible a good pistolsmith might be able to re-thread and fit a Diamondback barrel, BUT.... You better find a REALLY good pistolsmith.

I can recommend talking to Cylinder & Slide about it.
They're expensive and slow due to the volume of work, but they are among the very best.

Cylinder & Slide, Inc.
245 E. 4th Street
Fremont, NE 68026
(402) 721-4277
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
So in other words, to ease the math, the Diamondback is 9/16-32 and the others are 9/16-36. The 32 and the 36 represents the amount of threads per inch. The first number is the diameter, which is 9/16 of an inch.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Will a Diamondback .22 barrel fit a Trooper Mk

You've been working on those muscle cars again. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

Heh heh heh...
You got that right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Here's my latest creation. A '31 Ford model A, with a '32 grill, a 302 5.0 V8 coupled to a 4 speed AOD trans.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

I am amazed by your ability to mix toys in quantity. Do you build and sell the cars or are you fortunate enough to have a car museum attached to the gun museum? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

Did someone say TOYS ?
That's another passion of mine.
Vintage Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Johnny Lightning, Tonka.....
The Real keys to having cool toys, would be having a cool wife and no kids.
The wife allows you to play and the not having kids means you don't have to worry about them being destroyed.
As far as the car museum goes, all I can say is I wish. Believe me, I wish.
Here's a couple vintage toys.

1970's Hot Wheels AMX2

Late 60's Hot Wheels Vicky.

Rare late 60's salesman sample Mirror finish Johnny Lightning Ferrari.

Just like guns and cars, condition is everything.
Always buy the best.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY) AKA (TOYKWAZY)

·
Registered
27 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
It's possible a good pistolsmith might be able to re-thread and fit a Diamondback barrel, BUT.... You better find a REALLY good pistolsmith.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just to amplify a bit, even the very best smith couldn't make it work as it sits. In order to fit a threaded barrel to a new thread pattern, the minor diameter of the existing barrel thread must be equal to or greater than the major diameter of the new barrel thread. In this case, it's not even close.

The reason is that the barrel threads need to be machined off, and new threads cut. To machine off a thread in the 32-36tpi range, you need to take off something in excess of .004" - which, in this example, would leave us at least .003" undersized.

Now, since it's "only" a .22 caliber, it would be theoretically possible to reduce the diameter of the barrel, thread it, then thread on and secure a sleeve - which could then be threaded to match the frame. THEORETICALLY, you understand.

Given the scarcity and value of .22 Diamondback barrels - IF you can find one in good condition - and the value of all Colt .22 revolvers, it's really not a recommended course of action. You'd have a whole pile of money tied up in a gun whose collector value went through the floor when the job was complete.

Just MHO, of course. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
And once you did all that you could never go back to the original Trooper again. "Once a pickle, always a pickle" cannot go back to a cucumber again.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
"Once a pickle, always a pickle" cannot go back to a cucumber again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it.

Jeff (Gunkwazy)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
I have seen this done, (the famous Smolt's and Couger's)
but as Grant said, good Diamondback barrels are getting real hard to find, and the expense puts the project into one of those high dollar "Just because I want it" categories.

As Grand said, turning down the threads, installing a threaded bushing then installing it in the Mark III would work, and it wouldn't require alterations to the frame, so it could be changed back.

Another method is one that's been used to make .22LR "Pythons".
In this method, a barrel is bored out and a .22LR liner is installed.
This is then screwed to the frame, in this case a .22LR Officer's Model Match.

A variation on this is to use a barrel as a "shroud".
The original barrel is turned down to a straight tube, the replacement barrel is bored out to a press fit, and is slipped over the original barrel and bonded in place.

So, doing these things IS possible, but it's one of those jobs where the gunsmith asks, "Ahhhh, just how much money DO you have"?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts