Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a stretch, but since the forcing gun cracked in my army special I have had a very difficult time finding a replacement barrel since it is .41 caliber. I ran across a thunderer barrel in .41 and was wondering if it might fit. Anyone know if it might work? Thanks

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi DVG73,

That is certainly an interesting thought on how to correct your barrel problem! Here is an answer to your question and a suggestion that might work better for you...

When I did research for my book on Colt New Army and Navy Model revolvers, I found that the first civilian New Navy Model of 1889 revolvers with three inch barrels had Colt's Model 1877 Thunderer barrels. Since the New Navy model revolvers preceded the Colt's Army Special models in 1908, theoretically a Thunderer's barrel should work, but??? .... Why don't you try a New Army or New Navy .41 caliber barrel instead? That should not present a problem and if you check Ed Cox's website at coltparts.com, he should have barrels listed. I think he has a .41 DA New Army barrel in stock now... Let me know if you can't find one, I'll see if I can help you... Hope that helps... Bob Best

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I viewed coltparts at your suggestion and saw SAA barrels in .41 but no DA. I sent him an email to see if he has something that is not posted. I had been told that the New Army/Navy would work, you have confirmed that for me. I have been looking for a barrel for those in my search as well and come up empty. The thunderer barrel seems to be a good deal so depending on what Ed Cox says I may just go ahead and get it and see if that works. If not I can always sell it I guess. Any help you could give me in locating a barrel would be much appreciated. I will post what Ed Cox says when I get a reply.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi DVG73,
Let me know if you don't hear from Ed Cox... He is pretty busy, but he should get back to you. If he doesn't, let me know... He might also be interested in doing something with you Thunderer barrel. His specialty is .41 caliber Colts... Hope that helps... Bob Best

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob,

I had a long conversation with coltparts.com today, nice fella. Unfortunatley he did not have any army special barrels. He is certainly an avid .41 shooter and collector. I asked if he had any for a New Army/Navy and he recommended against that conversion. The barrels on those are straight and the army special is tapered. He put me on his want list so if he has anything show up he will give me an email. So if you run across any please let me know and thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts