Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a holster on eBay that was described as being for a Colt DS but when I received it the package said S&W J frame and similar. My Colt Commando Special fits into the holster but it is very tight and much tighter than any holster I have ever owned. I contacted the seller and asked if he had holsters for thr DS and he said No but the J frame holsters will fit. Is he correct and should I just keep his holster or return it? Normally I dont buy cheap holsters but I just need one for my DS until my order with Milt Sparks for a PMK is delivered in 5 months.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Short answer, NO!. Probably could be made to fit if you soak it in water and then stretch it with a suitable mold, such as wrapping your DS in saran wrap and placing it in the wet holster, letting it dry and then reconditioning the leather. Heck of a lot of work that could all be circumvented by simply buying the correct holster. YMMV.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,070 Posts
The Colt DS has a larger frame and a larger diameter cylinder then the S&W "J" frame.
The DS is actually more the size of the S&W "K" frame.

As above it "could" be made to fit....more or less, but you're much better off to buy the correct holster.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Really, it depends ...... some makers offered a single size 'fitted' for both.
Bianchi is a good example / but there are others as well. Just sayin'

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Really, it depends ...... some makers offered a single size 'fitted' for both.
Bianchi is a good example / but there are others as well. Just sayin'
He is absolutely correct. Some of the makers do list some of their holsters as "fitted" for both. But I have found of those I've tried that they were made so they're just a tad bit snug for a Colt and just a tad+ loose for the S & W. Trying for the largest market I suppose by going for an "in-between" size. Of course the break-in for those to work for a Colt is much less than if you've bought one made specifically for the S&W, but still.
If the dealer sold you one made for a S & W J Frame knowing you needed it for a Colt, he was absolutely wrong and, if a stand-up guy, should accept a return graciously.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Holsters made for the newer "Plus P Magnum" J-Frame Smith and Wesson revolvers will fit the Colt DS just fine, but the original older J-Frame holsters will be very tight at best, or flat too small.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts