Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
My number one Colt wish is to see them make a Gold Cup longslide. Any caliber but I'd prefer a 9mm and .45ACP. Maybe a 10mm. I'm sure they'd sell every one.
That makes too much sense.

Premium Member
I'm sure they'd sell every one.
Of course. Colt would sell (and does sell) anything it makes. Colt needs to make more of what the market wants, but apparently cannot.

Since Colt apparently cannot make anything new (the new Cobra being the exception), it seems to me that variations of existing models would be relatively "easy" and would generate additional sales (and PROFITS to eventually allow for other "new" Colts) if enough could be made.

A Longslide would not be as easy as rechambering the new Cobra to other chamberings, such as .22LR, .22WMR and .357 Magnum, and putting a proper alloy frame on it, but it would not be as difficult as a new model.

The AMT Longslide is one of my favorites, and I have long wished Colt would build a 7-inch Gold Cup. (Other makers make 6-inch Model O clones, but no one makes a 7-inch.) The traditional Gold Cup features, such as the ribbed slide top and the "kidney bean" steel trigger, would need to be applied to the Colt Longside to make it duplicate the AMT Longslide and a "proper" COLT Gold Cup. Every time I see a new Gold Cup with its ugly three-hole rigger and round slide top, I wonder why the few dollars saved are worth cheapening the classic Gold Cup design. Colt design decisions and marketing decisions continue to confuse, as they have for decades.

Registered
Colt already obtains their forgings from outside vendors who specialize in it. The vendor would expect to be reimbursed for the costs of new dies and any related equipment or the costs incurred would be figured into the unit costs. It would likely be a very expensive option as sales may be somewhat limited compared to standard models. To buy such slides from another vendor who already makes them might (don't know for sure) run afoul of contractual obligations with current forgings vendors.

Vendors already making long slides may not be able to do forgings to Colt standards if they do forgings at all. Some 1911 makers use castings rather than forgings.

I'd like to own a genuine long slide from Colt but I think the selling price would be prohibitive if Colt would do one.

Reactions: Wolfie38S

Registered
Sometimes you just have to improvisive. Not sure if you guys dream of the weight, the look or the barrel length. Looks like getting the look is out with a factory Colt Slide.

However, Barsto makes 6" barrels cleared for 5" slides. You can get the length that way. You can order the barrel ported and have a 1911 which looks like Swytecs (?) BHP on Miami Vice.

You can also order the threaded barrel. Put a one inch compensator blank on the threaded barrel. Now you have the extra weight and length with a Colt slide.

Premium Member
Vendors already making long slides may not be able to do forgings to Colt standards if they do forgings at all. Some 1911 makers use castings rather than forgings.

I'd like to own a genuine long slide from Colt but I think the selling price would be prohibitive if Colt would do one.
AMT used castings on its 7-inch Longslide. No other clone maker uses 7-inch barrels and slides. I assume Colt would insist on a forged slide. Perhaps some of the 6-inch clones use forged slides, and they might contract with Colt for forged slides to finish, but I do not know. (I think a 7-inch Gold Cup would be needed to give the Colt something no one else offers. The demand for 6-inch clones is already being met. Colt would have to "share" that market and that market is not that big.) A billet slide might be an acceptable substitute for a forged slide. Of course, "modern" castings, such as those used by Ruger on almost everything, are perfectly serviceable if Colt would go that way. I suspect Ruger would produce castings for Colt, as it does for other makers inside and outside the firearms industry.

The cost of a Colt Longslide could be a problem, but then, Colt already sells several Model O models that have high prices and they sell. In the final analysis, the 7-inch Model O market probably is not big enough or profitable enough to attract Colt. (Oh, how I wish it were!) Of course, tiny AMT thought it was big enough - and survived for several incarnations, with its final demise not related to the cost of its Longslide.

My early (El Monte production) AMT Longslide is one of my favorites. The "feel" of shooting it is noticeably different from a standard Gold Cup. I think the "feel" would help sell a Colt Longslide. The additional velocity from the 7-inch barrel, especially with the 10mm chambering, would also help sell the Colt Longslide. Oh, I wish ....

Registered
"Give me a .45 Longslide with laser sighting"...The Terminator (1984)

Registered
Colt would be competing with already existing long slide models in the market. I doubt there is enough profit for Colt in that market segment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts