Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I moved last year I need to get a new government permission slip CCW to carry a concealed firearm. Part of the requirement is showing proficiency with your handgun, which is firing 30 rounds at a B27 target at girlie-man distances of 3, 5 and 7 yards. All rounds need to hit the target (minimum of 270/300).

I'm bringing my S&W 351C, a 10 ounce 7-shooter in .22 Magnum. I'm curious to see what the ratio will be tomorrow of revolvers vs. the plastic fantastics :cool:.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since I moved last year I need to get a new government permission slip CCW to carry a concealed firearm. Part of the requirement is showing proficiency with your handgun, which is firing 30 rounds at a B27 target at girlie-man distances of 3, 5 and 7 yards. All rounds need to hit the target (minimum of 270/300).

I'm bringing my S&W 351C, a 10 ounce 7-shooter in .22 Magnum. I'm curious to see what the ratio will be tomorrow of revolvers vs. the plastic fantastics :cool:.

I would venture to say that the ratio will probably go along the same lines as the age group you have. By that I mean the older, more seasoned individuals with probably go with what they're most familiar and comfortable with, meaning the metal 2"-4" Security-Six type of sidearms. The younger individuals with most likely be packing Glock19 or something of that style. I'm just going but what I see at the classes my son teaches and the ones given at my local Shooting Range. Let us know what kind of firearms you see and if it goes along with my statement or a more scattered pattern, it would be interesting to hear about.

I would probably pack my Series 70 1911 just to see what some of the other might say. Then again when I pull out my "backup" Glock 21 they might kick me outta class for cheatin' :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Hi John! I suspect you will be alone with your revolver, especially a snubby.

Years ago, when I initially took my shooting proficiency test for handgun carry permit, there were several of us with revolvers. There were about 20 total persons in the class. A couple of us with revolvers scored 100%. I used a S&W 686 6" barrel. We shot 50 rounds at a target at the same ranges as you.

Twenty rounds were shot at 3 yards, 20 at 5 and 10 at 7 yards. Any hit scored 2 points that was within the seven ring.

Two years ago I attended again, just to accompany our son, as he took his first CCW course. Same distances, same scoring, 40 enrollees. Zero revolvers. (I scored 100% again but sorry to say, even I used a semi-auto, a Beretta 92FS)

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I took a class about 15 years ago in AZ. There was maybe one revolver, and the rest Sigs, Glocks, and such. I shot a 1903 Colt Hammerless, just to mess with the instructor. I can hit where I aim with it. In this state, you just qualify with any gun, it doesn't restrict you to using that gun for the rest of your life or anything. I know one man in his 70s that was an expert shot in the Marines, but never really shot much the past 30 years. He took a Ruger MKII with a long barrel, a .22, and they allowed it.

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
With double plugs, and knowing the type of man that John is, I doubt it'll bother him one little bit.

Good luck with it John, and I'll bet the ration of revolver to pistol will be quite low.

Bud

Nice Post!! Wonder what the over/under odds is that you will be placed on the firing line between an individual shooting 9mm +P on one side and somebody with a.454 SuperRedhawk on the other.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
As I recall, when I qualified for CC in Texas several years back the rules were if you qualified with a revolver that was all you were allowed to CC, but if you qualified with a semi-auto you were good for both.. Not sure if that is the case still or not.. Thought it was weird at the time but I used my Kimber which shoots better than I do.

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
While I think that the instructor was an extremely kind hearted person, I hope he convinced the lady to go a buy a gun, (perhaps a model 17) that she could handle. Otherwise, to continue to use the Jennings that she couldn't qualify with is a recipe for disaster.

Bud

When I took my last qual. test, there was a very senior lady who couldn't keep her shots on paper with her Jennings (POS).
The instructor had a S&W Model 17 in his bag and loaned it to her - she qualified finally.

·
Banned
318 Posts
As I recall, when I qualified for CC in Texas several years back the rules were if you qualified with a revolver that was all you were allowed to CC, but if you qualified with a semi-auto you were good for both.. Not sure if that is the case still or not.. Thought it was weird at the time but I used my Kimber which shoots better than I do.
That was modified 2? years ago. Revolver or semi - good to go with with either. I just recall the .32 caliber requirement :)

Jackson

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I look forward to hearing your commentary on your range session.
When I took my CCW class two years ago, there were two revolvers in the class. Mine and another older fellow.
I remember shooting the best groups out of all my classmates using my 38 Special 1971 S&W Model 60.
Kim

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
When I took my last qual. test, there was a very senior lady who couldn't keep her shots on paper with her Jennings (POS).
The instructor had a S&W Model 17 in his bag and loaned it to her - she qualified finally.
.22's are allowed for qualifying here in TN as well. Our course was held within a gun shop/indoor range. A couple of class attendees had no weapons and they were loaned .22 semi-autos for qualification.

And like other states, once qualified, any hand gun or caliber is a permissible carry piece in TN.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
When I took my CCW class in LA, taught by Kay C Miculek I like to brag about that, most of the folks shot a bar D gun.

They borrowed "D" gun from the instructor, most shot revolvers.

The RO put me on the far end of the line so my G22 would not pitch brass on the shooter next to me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The rules in TX have changed. You can qualify with either a revolver or semi-auto and carry either. .22LR is NOT allowed for qualification, .32 or larger. My wife did her qualification with a 5 round .32 revolver. She was the only one with a revolver but since that is what she was comfortable with it is not an issue. That is what she carries. There is no time requirement of the shooting, usually 5 round volleys.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts