Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, 1st post here. I bought a Python (1978)that while in great mechanical condition is in very poor cosmetic condition.

How badly will I affect its value if I send it to Colt for a refinish? I can't see how it would be any better off not refinishing, but everybody treats refinishing like the plague...any help is appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum .

4" Pythons are common . Your's would benefit from an expert refinish . They can also inspect the interior for any needed maintainance .

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
As it is, it's a shooter, not a collector gun.
If you refinish the gun, you will have a minty looking shooter, not a collector.
So you need to weigh the option of if it's worth the cost for the beautification process alone.
Hope that makes sense.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
This one of the very rare times when I would have to say "Oh my Gawd, re-finish it."

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
I also vote to refinish. A refinished Python 'shooter' might actually be worth a little more than a Python in the condition shown in your pictures.

·
Registered
254 Posts
my only python is also a 1978, but luckly its almost perfect(even was stolen and went thru a liqour store hold up)refinish yours and enjoy.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Another vote to refinish. And while it may seem sound mechanically, it's a good idea to have Colt give it a thorough inspection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be sending it to Colt for a thorough check-up & re-finish. I don't see this gun ever having collectibility (because of the condition) but I got it for a great price so I don't mind the extra money to send it to Colt.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My'61 Python was in much worse cosmetic condition than yours and I recieved some pro and against advice here about refinishing it. All I can say is that now I am SOOO glad I had Colt fix it up like new because that's literally the condition it's now in. After recently wiping the CLP dry and putting the new high quality Flitz Rifle/Gun wax on with a bare finger and buffing it off later after it dried a couple of times it shines like glass. I've taken around to some local gun shops and they all without fail dropped their jaws to the floor when they have seen how fantastic and breathtaking this gun now looks. I've been repeatledly advised to don't shoot it, that it's worth much more than when I bought it. And I know they're right cause I bought it for $480 earlier this year. You are liable to have the gun refinished looking better than when it was new by Colt and nearly as good as Pythons have ever been. They have some great polishers and their 'smiths will correct any mechanical functions to perfection.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I'm a fan of originality but in this case I'd send it in to Colt too.

Please post before and after photos later. It would be fun to see the two side by side.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
It's YOUR gun. If you want to refinish it by all means do so. If it were some really rare variation you might want to think about it, but it isn't, so go for it.

·
Premium Member
9,700 Posts
By the time you pay Colt to refinish the gun, and then buy a correct set of stocks, you will have as much in this sow's ear as if you bought a similar vintage Python in much better condition. Does that make sense to you? If so, it is your gun and your money. Do what you think is best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[ QUOTE ]
By the time you pay Colt to refinish the gun, and then buy a correct set of stocks, you will have as much in this sow's ear as if you bought a similar vintage Python in much better condition. Does that make sense to you? If so, it is your gun and your money. Do what you think is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to come off too strong, being new & all, but with what I have in this gun, and the quote from Colt AND correct stocks I'll still be saving over a similar gun.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
How badly will I affect its value if I send it to Colt for a refinish?

[/ QUOTE ]
You asked about it's value. The revolver now is valued as a shooter. Have it refinished and it will be valued as a refinished shooter. To those who may not know it may value higher, but those who do know what to look for will see it for what it is. I would look around to see what decent looking shooters are going for. If the total cost invested in the revolver doesn't approach those prices I would do the work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent and illuminating answers. I was "stuck" into thinking of all Pythons along the same plane. These answers have made me realize that this gun needs to be thought of for what it is, not what it might have been.

I bought the gun for $367. Mechanically it is fine, cosmetically....another story. I want Colt to refinish it because I want the gun to reclaim its former beauty. Obviously refinishing would destroy its collector value, but I am now thinking it will enhance its value as a shootin' Python, and will certainly increase its value to me.

Thanks everyone, I'll post pics when its done.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
ghen;

That is a great deal. There's guns that come by their wear honestly. A blue gun with soft silvery wear patterns can be an attractive piece. Your new Python looks raggy and gives an appearance of sloppy care and neglect in its current state, as if a former owner had more money than good sense. Giving it a new lease on life is understandable.

I'm not running your new Python down. If I'd bought it first before you get there I'd be gleefully shouting about it from the rafters. It also be one of the few I'd be willing to send to the factory for a refinish.

·
Registered
576 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Just to be ornery, I'm going to take a slightly contrarian point of view. I recently had an interesting experience that mirrors your situation, and it made me think harder before blindly recommending refinishing.
You can read about it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great post, Grant. I am an inveterate fixer upper of just about everything, and fight that tendancy, sometimes successfully, with my guns. I think your point of view comes from great familiarity and experience. I'm not there yet -- but I aspire to get there! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[ QUOTE ]
ghen;

That is a great deal. There's guns that come by their wear honestly. A blue gun with soft silvery wear patterns can be an attractive piece. Your new Python looks raggy and gives an appearance of sloppy care and neglect in its current state, as if a former owner had more money than good sense. Giving it a new lease on life is understandable.

I'm not running your new Python down. If I'd bought it first before you get there I'd be gleefully shouting about it from the rafters. It also be one of the few I'd be willing to send to the factory for a refinish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the previous owner used it to commit suicide, hence the spatter effect where the bluing is eaten away

1 - 20 of 27 Posts