Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local guy has a Winchester 9422 in the store no box or anything and in excellent condition. He has a silly price on it of $1,300 but I know he will work with me if I offer hime something reasonable. What is a reasonable fair price for this 22 rifle in great condition if I wanted to buy it..... thanks.

Marko

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
Too much. NIB examples might reach that asking point...and I repeat might. Different areas of the country will have different values but $1300 is too much. For that money I'd be willing to sell my unfired 9422 with the large John Wayne/Rifleman loop...and it has no box with it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The 9422 XTR's sell here in east Tennessee, north Georgia, and western North Carolina for $650 to $700 in excellent condition.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Johnny.... I agree the owner of there pawn is a great guy and not very knowledgeable about firearms. But he is so busy now with guns he just looks on GB and guns America ... said these are going for upward of $1,600 says its collectable. Told him condition is everything on collectability.... for instance this one has not box or papers and has been shot many times. He also has a Manhurin 380 Walter PPK copy one mag and has some wear on the slide. I told him the serial# put it at around 1984 and its worth about $300-$500 on a great day. He'd has it listed as a Walther PPK ad for sale at $1,000. He also showed me a Yugo SKS 56/59 non matching numbers....too bad the receiver # is 000022 and it had a shorter stock on it . Sid the Hugo's are going crazy wants $650 for it. If it had all matching Wirth that low serial # I would have my Visa card out I told him.

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
He may be seeing asking prices on those sites and assuming that's actual market values.

·
Premium Member
9,440 Posts
There are not any auctions on Guns America, just (inflated) asking prices.

In my opinion, the XTRs are worth quite a bit LESS than a pre-XTR. Winchester never put checkering on the standard Model 94, and the first Models 9422 did not have checkering. To me, checkering looks out of place on a "cowboy" Winchester. John Wayne never shot a Winchester lever with sissy checkering!

I have a first-year Model 9422 as new in the box, and a second-year Model 9422M as new in the box, and I would not take $1300 for either. I watch Models 9422 when they come up on GunBroker, and nice ones without a box can get pretty close to $1000. I think an XTR is worth a few hundred less. I suspect the butt plate is marked "United States Repeating Arms," rather than "Winchester Repeating Arms," so it's not a "real" Winchester either, further reducing its market value. (Yes, I know the arguments about what constitutes "real.")

I note the hammer extension. That probably means a scope has been mounted at one time. Look carefully at the scope mount grooves and surrounding area for damage from the scope mount. Any damage should lower the sale price.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Before Covid-19, I was at an auction where an early red-white-blue as new in box 9422 magnum brought 650 plus 15% buyers and tax. About 750-775 total. The same box 22lr (used but still 98-99%) brought $50 more lol. The magnum was a deal for sure but I was downsizing myself.
I think this 9422 is way overpriced, like literally double. It’s a 650-700 gun IF 98% or better. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I bought two of them when they first came out , 22LR and a17 HMR I paid less than $300 ,$280.00 sounds about right for each. I have shot the 17 HMR and it’s a joy to shoot . I bought the 22 for anticipation of a grandson , the granddaughters have always preferred bolt actions 22’s over the lever guns , last of the really good guns Winchester put out.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You never know what's out there. I bought this one about two years ago at a shop for $350. It didn't have a box, but it was new with it's hang tag still on it. Made in 1977.

Sometimes people just want to get rid of stuff and will put it on consignment cheep. Some dealers don't care and just want to move it out for whatever the customer wants.

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
At a gun store I was at a couple of weeks ago there were two identical Colt .380 pistols on consignment (Mustangs I believe). One was marked in the $400 range and the other over $800...and they appeared to be indentical condition. I asked why the difference in price and was told it two different consignors with two different ideas what they thought their pistols were worth.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I bought the first 9422 mag I seen when they first came out in California in the early 1970`s. Later gave it to my dad in wisconsin. Dad went to assisted living and I got it back. Dad died, and when I went home to the funeral my house was burglared and it was stolen along with many more.
I still cant get over it.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have a Winchester 9422M XTR that I bought in new in the box at a gun store in Midland, Texas on Thursday April 2, 1981 at approximately 12:30PM after eating lunch with Jack N. at the Whataburger across the street. Why do I remember those details?
For those of you who remember, Ronald Reagan was shot by John Hinkley on March 30, 1981. By random chance, Hinkley was my roommate in college for one semester. On Tuesday morning I was at the office talking to the FBI on the phone. They came to the office and asked more than a few questions about Hinkley and what I knew about him. On Wednesday, more phone calls from friends and colleagues. On Thursday Jack and I go to lunch and visit the gun store like we usually did. I bought the Winchester, they put it in the big white box with "Winchester" in red all over the outside and we went back downtown to work. I walked into the building and rode the elevator up carrying the box, went past the receptionist to tell her I was back. She says these two guys would like to visit with you, indicating two guys sitting there.
I'm standing there with a big Winchester box with a reporter and photographer from the local paper wanting a story about the guy who had just shot the POTUS. That's why I remember those details.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I bought the first 9422 mag I seen when they first came out in California in the early 1970`s. Later gave it to my dad in wisconsin. Dad went to assisted living and I got it back. Dad died, and when I went home to the funeral my house was burglared and it was stolen along with many more.
I still cant get over it.
Yelp. it pisses me off as well and we don’t even know each other. Reading here and there, there were some quality stuff taken.
I have a very dear Aussie friend that had his house burglarized by a step daughter and doper boy friend. Found his to the safe key.
Police penalized my friend by taking his firearm privileges away. Stating he was negligent in hiding the key.
Vic

Reactions: Gator89

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I bought one of the beautiful 9422 Classic models back in 1986. I probably ran a magazine tube or two full of ammo through it to zero the sights and then cleaned it and put it away. When prices reached what I thought were crazy level I sold it. I wish I had it back now. I think this was the best looking configuration of the 9422. One in .22 Magnum would be outstanding.
Winchester 9422 Right Full.jpg
Winchester 9422 Left Full.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts