Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These stocks are Winchester model 94 30-30 circa 1904 Does anyone know if they would fit a pre 64, Model 94 in 30-30 made in 1955? Yes I know about the Gumwood. Could have been stripped down or it could be just ananomoly or custom order from the factory. Any ideas from anyone in a position to perhaps know about this?

·
Administrator
7,119 Posts
I'm not speakng from M94 gun stock experience but I've handled a few 94's . Strictly guessing but I think the butt will fit . Pretty sure that the 94 receiver/tang dimensions were unchanged through atleast 1963 . That said , I do know there were variances in forearm wood . The band was located in more than one position . This would most likely cause trouble when trying to push the screw through between the barrel and the magtube .

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
If you mean compatible as in the same type of stock I'd say yes. The biggest difference is the curved buttplate whereas the 1955 has a flat butt. But once a stock has been fit to a particular firearm it might not fit another.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Your pre-war buttstock will not fit your post war 94 unless you relieve some wood where the stock meets the tang, right up by the hammer. The gumwood stock, you have there, appears to be from a saddle ring carbine. Your stock will fit and be correct on most pre-war 1894 and 1892 carbines. You may want to consider selling it or trading it for a post war buttstock. There's been quite a few post war stocks on ebay, lately.

The upper tang area, by the hammer, on the post war model buttstocks are relieved straight across flat. This was changed after the war to save machining and stock inletting time.

Here's a larger picture of my avatar. The carbine is an early 1892, 44-40. Same buttstock as a pre-war 1894. Look closely at the tang area by the hammer and then look at your post war 94. Your tang, below the hammer, will be wider because the stock does not come up alongside the tang metal as the pre-wars do. The wood on the post war 94's are relieved flat. You'll notice on some early 1894's where there's a sliver of wood missing from this area. That's uaually caused from being clumbsy when the stock is removed and replaced, or the stock is dropped on removal.

Rod

1 - 5 of 5 Posts