Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several boxes of subject ammo and my only large frame 9mm is my Colt Series 70 Government Model. I've been told this ammo is too hot for this pistol. A distributor states this - "9mm NATO Winchester ammunition is high pressure 9mm Parabellum ammo comparable to 9mm Luger +P. It usually uses a 124 grain bullet and is designed to work reliably in military service pistols such as the Beretta M9, Browning Hi Power, and Sig P226." Lists at almost 1200 FPS.

Is this ammo hotter than 38 Super which is chambered for this pistol? Is it safe to use in my Colt? Should I use a stronger recoil spring? I hate to waste 7 boxes of this ammo.

I appreciate reader's expertise. Respectfully, Bill

Rectangle Font Material property Electric blue Signage

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
You'll be fine shooting that through a modern Colt. I've put a good amount of that exact ammo through my Colt Competition S70, among many other modern pistols and it isn't detrimental in any way. If your recoil spring is tired, I'd put in a new one but that goes for all the guns anyway, regardless of top end ammo.

Anything in the +P area is good to go still. Winchester does make a 127gr hp that's +P+ and that is some fairly hot stuff I'd save just for defense use and not range plinking, other than checking to make sure it'd function well in your gun.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The Colt pistol is probably not listed as it is not usually considered as a 9mm pistol.
Almost 1200 FPS is in the same category as the .38 Super+P, which uses a 130 grain bullet.

The .38 Super is considered +P only to differentiate the Super cartridge from the .38 Automatic.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. Good news for me. Both calibers are listed for 14 lb recoil springs on the Wolf Springs site. I need to pick up a new one. Respectfully, Bill

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
The Colt pistol is probably not listed as it is not usually considered as a 9mm pistol.
Almost 1200 FPS is in the same category as the .38 Super+P, which uses a 130 grain bullet.

The .38 Super is considered +P only to differentiate the Super cartridge from the .38 Automatic.
Well, actually if you shoot 38 Super in a 38 Colt Automatic you will probably do some harm. 38 Auto is an older milder cartridge. Super and Super +P can be used safely in modern quality Supers, plus just a bit hotter than regular Super.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The Super .38 is a hotter cartridge than the 9mm Luger +P. The 1911 is a rather stout platform for the 9mm and lots of steel surrounds it, unlike the Beretta M9 or the SiG M11.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would note the High Power (listed as guns for which the ammo is usable) is definately NOT designed to use +P ammo. I doubt it will blow the HP up, but it will surely wear the gun quickly.

FWIW

Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts