Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a tip from Jim Martin here I went out to Newhall to see the Wm S Hart ranch and museum, which is housed in his house.
He donated the property, 235 acres to the county for a park. Which it is, and appears to be clean and free of (two legged) varmints. Which was nice.
There were few visitors.
He was a silent film star in the mostly western genre.
They have bison, and a few long guns in his living room, probably what he was given. Notably a lever action perhaps from 1873, tho' I don't know if I can say the brand name here.
The tour lady (it was just me and her) said they had other rifles, and some handguns, but that the good part of his guns were stolen in the 60s.
She said they believe they know who has them and they are listed as stolen with many a dealer. She thought they might get them back some day, perhaps from an estate, or by conscientious heirs.
He has quite a view, a true hilltop view. But he didn't use it for his bedroom windows, tho' his sister's room had 2 balconies with view in 2 directions.
When he bought the canyon area had nothing in it. Today there is city all around, but it still makes for a nice visit for the historical aspect. And a rather nice park in a fairly decent city.
dc

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's a neat place. Back in the early seventies they had a lot of Colt SAA's, Some lever actions, a few double barrel shotguns and a double barrel shotgun pistol mounted on the living room wall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts