Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently acquired Anaconda has a slight wobble to the ejection rod; it's not bad, it doesn't make contact inside the shroud, but I'd like to fix or replace it anyways.

1. Where can I find a replacement?

2. How hard is it to replace? If you've got older threads you can reference for disassembly that would be great!

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
i would chuck it up in a drill and tap on it before i replaced it.
you would be surprised how straight you can get these things that way.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,081 Posts
To remove the later Colt ejector rod:

Remove the cylinder from the gun by removing the cap screw, spring and plunger from the right side of the frame.
Open the cylinder and rotate it so a flute lines up with the bottom of the frame and pull the entire cylinder assembly out.

Insert three EMPTY cartridge cases in the chambers.

Pad a vise with copper, brass, or lead and grip the ejector rod head.

The threads are standard right hand. Unscrew the cylinder from the rod by turning it counterclockwise.

Reassemble the reverse, being careful not to strip the threads. If you think it's needed, you can use a SMALL drop of fingernail polish or BLUE (Temporary) Loctite. Be careful to use only a tiny drop, it can infiltrate into other areas and lock things up.

If worse comes to worse, Colt used the same rod on the King Cobra.

Parts houses that might have new rods are Gun Parts Corporation, and Jack First Gun Parts.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dfariswheel- Thanks for the great instructions!

I took it apart and have been having a real tough time improving the wobble; I'm using a drill to rotate it and "tap" it with the palm of my hand. I think I've made slightly better, but it definitely still has a bit of a wobble. I think that the only way I'll get it perfect is to just replace the rod. I'll contact the places you listed and see if they've got anything.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I found an ejector rod; only $10 so I ordered 2 just in case. The guy I ordered them from was an old time gunsmith and he recommended that I have someone insure that the crane isn't bent as well. The gun is very accurate and I have no reason to believe the crane could be tweaked but thought I'd toss it out there to get everyone else's opinion. Is there a simple way to check it out? I do not know of any good local gunsmith so I much prefer if it's something I can do myself.

Thanks again!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,081 Posts
If the crane is bent, it usually will have problems closing and locking shut.
One way to check is to use a range rod to see if the alignment is correct, and a crane shaft thimble to check for correct locking at the rear.

I have NO idea where to get a shaft thimble for any Colt these days, much less one for an Anaconda.
If the gun is accurate and isn't spitting bullet metal it's probably not bent.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the crane is bent, it usually will have problems closing and locking shut.
One way to check is to use a range rod to see if the alignment is correct, and a crane shaft thimble to check for correct locking at the rear.

I have NO idea where to get a shaft thimble for any Colt these days, much less one for an Anaconda.
If the gun is accurate and isn't spitting bullet metal it's probably not bent.
Definitely not spitting lead and is more accurate than the Redhawk I brought along with it last weekend ;) All must be well. Thanks again, couldn't have done it without your help.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,081 Posts
If it worries you you could send it in to Colt for a check up.
However, bent ejector rods are far more common then bent cranes, and the Colt rods are thin enough to bend even easier then the thicker S&W rods.

Save the old rod. These will become harder to find, and can be repaired by straightening.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it worries you you could send it in to Colt for a check up.
However, bent ejector rods are far more common then bent cranes, and the Colt rods are thin enough to bend even easier then the thicker S&W rods.

Save the old rod. These will become harder to find, and can be repaired by straightening.
I'll definitely save the old one, thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I ordered the wrong rods! They are a bit short, but other than the length they are identical. I ordered them here (Description), the description states-
EJEC ROD-SS
AA/V/J
SP58612

Anybody know where I can get an Anaconda ejector? Also, does anyone know what the rods I just got are for? I'd rather pass them along to someone who can use them as they won't do me any good and I know these parts can be tough to find.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
The Shorty is for the King Cobra. I have a few rods in stock here but hate to part with them. If you cannot find one elsewhere, I will recultantly relinquish on to a fellow member. Exhaust some other sources in the meantime. Good Luck!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Shorty is for the King Cobra. I have a few rods in stock here but hate to part with them. If you cannot find one elsewhere, I will recultantly relinquish on to a fellow member. Exhaust some other sources in the meantime. Good Luck!
I'll keep looking but so far have hit a brick wall. If worst comes to worst I'll contact you, thanks for the generous offer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still am not finding one; I've tried Bear Creek (parts4guns), Numrich, Brownells, and have been trying to get a hold of Jack First. Any other ideas? Nothing on GunBroker or Ebay that I've seen. Numerous Google searches have brought up dead ends as well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got through the phones at Jack First and they said they had a "newly manufactured" one for $38. Ordered it up, fingers crossed that it's the correct part!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts