Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped in a local gun store today to see if they had anything new, they went in the back & brought out a wooden box containing a 6" Nickel Python and a 6" Nickel Diamondback in 22 cal.. They said someone brought them in and sold them to the store, the story was they were given by a bank when an account was opened. The seller said they had never been fired and they looked like they hadn't. The store was asking $4000 for the set, I believe they said they dated to 1971, once I heard the price I knew they were out of my price range.

I wasn't able to get a photo but I might see if they will let me take one tomorrow. Looking on the web I saw mention of sets like this that were given away when you purchased a $3000 CD. Would anyone know if these would letter to the Banks or where they put together by a wholesaler?

Wished I had some extra bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
Sounds like a Bank of Findlay Set. There are a couple of different variations and the case will probably either have a plaque stating Bank of Findlay or a stamp on the back saying manufactured in Illinois from what I have saw. Be careful because the guns will pop out of the nests very easily and I wouldnt transport or carry them in the case because they will be banging together. I can tell you that is a great price on the set if mint and especially in nickel. I have saw the sets with Custom shop stocks or regular 3rd gen style also. Most do not have the original boxes, and if it does have the original individual boxes that is a steal! I have a set in blued with the original boxes. I have never lettered them, so I do not know how they would letter, but I doubt they will letter as a set. From my research, the banks never handled the guns, they just gave you a certificate to take to the local gun shop and the shop mated the guns. All sets I have saw that showed SN#'s, which is just a few online and my one in person, have been early 80's guns. Also all have been either a Blued 6 inch Python 357 with a blued 6 inch 22 DB OR a Nickel 6 inch Python 357 with a Nickel 6 inch 22 DB.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info., I will go back in Wednesday & see if they still have them. The box didn't have a plaque stating anything, I didn't give the box itself a great looking over, too much staring at the guns. I will check the serial numbers too, I thought they said 1971 but I could be wrong. The box was red felt linned. I didn't ask if they had the card board boxes & they didn't mention then but who knows, I will ask. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
All the wooden cases I have saw have the red felt lined and the guns lie facing opposite directions with the trigger guards pointing towards each other. Here is a link to the only other one I can recall seeing with the boxes, however I do know one of them was missing the end label... This is what the wooden box should look like whether it has the plaque or not:

Colt Banker's Set-NIB Python & Diamondback : Antique Guns at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it looked just like that, hopefully they will still have tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts