Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you tell if wood checkered grips are original Colt or if they are aftermarket? They do not have any emblem or markings of any kind that I can see. They do not have any finish on them either.

Thanks, Longone

Attachments

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Maybe Herrett's. They made grips for Colt for a time without the Colt medallion and sometimes had a Herrett's medallion and other times not.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Here's a thread about this subject I hope you find helpful.
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...re-war-commercial-wood-stocks-imitations.html

Here's another from the 1911 Forum.
Colt full checkered stocks or after market? - 1911Forum

The most pertinent information I was able to find about stocks of this type is that they should be 14 L.P.I. (lines per inch) checkering, and that would make 28 rows of checkering between the screw holes. The backs may or may not show circular saw marks. The wood has to be walnut, and the stocks are stained walnut. It should be noted that service pistols at matches during the 60s stocks that appear identical to mine and seem identical to pre war Govt. model stocks were given to the service competitors as replacements whenever a set was needed. I have no idea who made them, but they appear to have the same lines per inch checkering and the same amount of rows of checkering as pre war Govt. Models have.

I looked at yours carefully. They have 33 or 32 rows of checkering between the screw holes. If you measure the L.P.I I don't think you will find they are 14 lines per inch.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Primer88 has given you some interesting information. My post concerns only pre war Govt. Model stocks. I may have misinterpreted your question in my attempt to help. If so I apologize for not reading carefully.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Primer88 has given you some interesting information. My post concerns only pre war Govt. Model stocks. I may have misinterpreted your question in my attempt to help. If so I apologize for not reading carefully.
No not at all. I appreciate you taking the time to answer the question. And yes you have very good sight, I also counted 32 LPI checkering but I used a cheater. So with that being the case these were probably made for the DIY gunsmith? That is my guess any how. I don't know if I am brave enough to try and finish these or pass, is there a thread to finishing wood grips on the forum?

Thanks, Longone

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
For a truly professionally job, Swamprat has done some great work for many of us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts