Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed lately that the wood grips on my DS are starting to “lift” away from the frame (only at the top). Is there a woodworking method that I can use that will return the grips to their original position – and stay that way? I don’t know of any cure other than to put a spring clamp on the grips whenever I’m not carrying the gun.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a pair of gips on a Ruger single action do the same thing to me.
If you are careful some 400 grit sandpaper and a VERY flat surface, such as a piece of glass might help.
I sanded the inside of the grips with a circular motion "gently" working the insides of the grips back down to flat. Then left them in a glass jar full of of tung oil for a couple of days. It has been more than 15 years with no signs of further warping.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
This won't help the warpage that has already occurred, but back off the grip screw torque and gently snug it up using a small screwdriver held gently in the fingertips. Most of us tend to crank down the grip screws much tighter than necessary, and those thin little slabs of walnut tend to split, warp, and do all sorts of horrible things when too much torque is trying to pull them into the shape of a chair rocker. I've used the sheet of fine sandpaper/flat surface method to correct minor warpage, but if you go that route, be sure to reseal the wood to prevent moisture absorption.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts