Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know most of ya'll favor ivory for grip material. Aside from pearl, ivory and stag, what material do ya'll favor for grips for you Single Actions? Colts and others?

I read many years ago of a collector of Weatherby rifles who had them stocked in various woods. I decided to do a similar thing with my Ruger Single Actions. Walnut, of course, but went with ebony, mesquite, rosewood etc.

Here is mesquite on a Ruger Blackhawk, by Cary Chapman:

Walnut on a New Model Blackhawk .45 Colt by Lett:

And home made walnut on a Colt SAA:

Photos accepted!

Bob Wright

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I'm probably pretty much in the minority here, but I truly hate the look of MOP grips, I don't particularly like stage, and I'd never use ivory. I generally prefer the stock non-eagle 1st gen and early 2nd gen grips, but some wood grips look really good. I particularly like your mesquite grips.

Best regards,

·
Registered
103 Posts
Grips look great Bob. I also like bone grips on some guns depending on the finish of the gun, not a big fan of stag grips unless they are smooth with no bark. I finally bit the bullet and had Paul Persinger make me some ivory grips for both my Colts, I am hoping to see them by next week. Who did the CCH on your flattop ? they did an excellent job, really makes that gun look nice. I have been considering sending my .45 flattop to Turnbull for CCH.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Bob, I bought this 1969 SBH for the purpose of cutting it down like yours. I decided against it but seeing yours sure makes it tempting. Mine wear these most likely sheep grips I got on Ebay, but your formidable little NM beast looks great just like that. These grips fit my hand perfectly.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought this New Model Blackhawk Convertible (.45 ACP cylinder) in January, 2000. I took it to my gunsmith (Then Bob Mason, of Ed Masons & Son Gunsmiths of Memphis) and had the Super Blackhawk grip frame fitted and blued, and sent to Doug Turnbull for color case hardening. Grips were fancy walnut by Lett Custom grips. Later I bought and fit a QPR cam-cut ejector rod assembly, and an all steel Gary Reeder rear sight.

To date this gun has had 8,400 rounds fired through it and is now my bedside gun.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Wood for SAA grips - hard to beat walnut as the bosic old standard. I've used walnut, hackberry & ebony. Hackberry is an almost ivory colored hardwood common here in OK. Ebony that I got years ago in Africa is close to ideal, being hard, tough, works almost like aluminum. Dis-advantage is it's black and most people take it for plastic. To offset that I do an inlay of ivory or silver. Here's a file shot of ebony, sorry none on a SAA.

EDIT couple hours later --- I found a shot of one, kinda, sorta, like a SAA that I put ebony on:

That said, beautiful highly figured hardwoods are a matter of personal choice ----- hard for me to decide which of the above I like most.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Sorry Bob.....I thought that picture spoke for itself.. .357 Blackhawk, purchased new in 1960. Light areas, caused by lighting. 99% blue....Jim

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I know most of ya'll favor ivory for grip material. Aside from pearl, ivory and stag, what material do ya'll favor for grips for you Single Actions? Colts and others?

I read many years ago of a collector of Weatherby rifles who had them stocked in various woods. I decided to do a similar thing with my Ruger Single Actions. Walnut, of course, but went with ebony, mesquite, rosewood etc.

Here is mesquite on a Ruger Blackhawk, by Cary Chapman:

Walnut on a New Model Blackhawk .45 Colt by Lett:

And home made walnut on a Colt SAA:

Photos accepted!

Bob Wright
Absolutely LOVE wood stocks!!

And, OK, since we've allowed rifles into the mix I'll offer a Colt semi-auto's stocks that I cherish. Honduran Rosewood Burl on a Colt's Special Combat Government.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.