Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago, for my birthday, a relative gave me a vintage Colt factory magazine for my 1938 First Series Woodsman. When I finally used it yesterday I was a bit shocked to see the slide lock back after the last round ejected. Not supposed to happen on a 1st series. First I thought I had a jam but upon closer inspection saw that the follower was raised up far enough to capture the bottom of the slide and keep it open. I loaded and shot it several more times with the slide locking back on the empty magazine. When I disassembled the mag and checked the follower against another it measured a few millimeters taller. Enough to catch the bottom of the slide and keep it locked open after the last round fired. Of course to drop the mag I needed to slightly pull the slide back. This was not a reworked Colt follower but definitely an aftermarket taller replacement. Someone had to have been selling these at some point in the past. First time I've seen one. It was rather cool not to have to count rounds and just have the slide lock back. Has anyone ever come across one of these? Also wondering whether it's a bad idea using this as might it eventually cause wear on the bottom edge of my slide where it hits the follower.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Several months ago, for my birthday, a relative gave me a vintage Colt factory magazine for my 1938 First Series Woodsman. When I finally used it yesterday I was a bit shocked to see the slide lock back after the last round ejected. Not supposed to happen on a 1st series. First I thought I had a jam but upon closer inspection saw that the follower was raised up far enough to capture the bottom of the slide and keep it open. I loaded and shot it several more times with the slide locking back on the empty magazine. When I disassembled the mag and checked the follower against another it measured a few millimeters taller. Enough to catch the bottom of the slide and keep it locked open after the last round fired. Of course to drop the mag I needed to slightly pull the slide back. This was not a reworked Colt follower but definitely an aftermarket taller replacement. Someone had to have been selling these at some point in the past. First time I've seen one. It was rather cool not to have to count rounds and just have the slide lock back. Has anyone ever come across one of these? Also wondering whether it's a bad idea using this as might it eventually cause wear on the bottom edge of my slide where it hits the follower.
Can you post photos? I have never heard of that, although I have seen many magazines with the follower thumb button slot lengthened slightly at the top to allow the follower to rise enough to stop the slide in its forward travel.

·
Registered
470 Posts
"When I disassembled the mag and checked the follower against another it measured a few millimeters taller. Enough to catch the bottom of the slide and keep it locked open after the last round fired. Of course to drop the mag I needed to slightly pull the slide back. This was not a reworked Colt follower but definitely an aftermarket taller replacement."
I have seen this used on old Ruger .22 autos that were built for Bullseye shooters. Maybe a search of old Gil Hebard catalogs would yield an answer.
Just a thought;
Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here is another variation of a magazine modified to hold the slide back. This appears to be a standard follower modified with a welded extension at the back of the follower. In addition is pictured a slide release mechanism that is sometimes seen. The lever pivots in the drilled hole at the back of the grip and bears upon the magazine button. Depressing the button above the trigger releases the slide. I bought this about 25 years ago and have only seen one other. I have an additional pair of grips modified to accept this apparatus but without the mechanism. I am relatively certain the modified grips are Sandersons. This Bullseye has a replaced front sight, probably Roper, and a Berdon anti-backslap trigger device as well.

WMMagazineMod.JPG WoodsmanSlideMod.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
... In addition is pictured a slide release mechanism that is sometimes seen. The lever pivots in the drilled hole at the back of the grip and bears upon the magazine button. Depressing the button above the trigger releases the slide. I bought this about 25 years ago and have only seen one other. ...
View attachment 446330
I used to have one with the same type mechanism. Is that the "one other" that you have seen? If not I will search my records for more information on it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used to have one with the same type mechanism. Is that the "one other" that you have seen? If not I will search my records for more information on it.
Good evening Bob,

Unfortunately I never got to see your collection but sure wish I had. I can't remember where I saw the mate to this pistol or even what model had the modification. I never cease to be amazed by the ingenuity and craftsmanship displayed by the gun enthusiasts and smiths of days past. Really amazing the tolerances they worked to without the benefit of computers, lasers, etc.
Please post any additional information you find on this modification, I'm sure others will also find it of interest.
All the best,

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts