Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the range. The shooter next to me had a Woodsman with a black grip, maybe rubber similar to Colt SAA. It had the colt logo. I have never seen any but wood grips said it's 1950ish. Collectible? JMB

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
All early Third Model Woodsman pistols have black plastic stocks. Likewise, all Second Model Woodsman pistols also have plastic stocks, known as "Coltwood," but they are shades of brown. Wood stocks are standard on all other Model S pistols, both before the Second Model and later in Third Model production.

While I have not checked, I suspect Mr. Rayburn's fabulous site has pictures of all styles.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Some of the later 2nd Model Woodsman have also been seen wearing Black Plastic style grips. Those are usually numbered (around 137XXX-S) in the "Flat top" series with then new 1953 Colt Accro rear sight. There is a Web Site (Sam Liskers' I believe) for 22 Automatics that show some examples of variations of the Colt 2nd Model Woodsmans.

Here is a Question; Has anybody seen BLACK grip adapters that would have been compatable with those late 2nd Model Flat top Colts?

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
Maybe Second Models "... have also been seen wearing Black Plastic style..." stocks, but I believe someone must have put them on from a Third Model after modifying them to fit. "Mr. Woodsman," Robert Rayburn, does not mention the use of black plastic stocks on Second Models in his "Woodsman Pocket Guide." Likewise, Sam Lisker's "Colt Autos" site does not show any Second Model with black plastic stocks.

The fact that no matching black plastic grip adaptors have been seen would seem to support the contention that no black plastic stocks were ever used on the Second Models, which use the grip adaptors. It also seems odd that the alleged use of black plastic stocks on Second Models would only have occurred in the 1953 time period, and then the return to brown plastic was made until the Third Model was introduced in 1955.

I remain very skeptical that black plastic stocks were ever factory-installed on Second Models. Perhaps Mr. Rayburn will see this thread and make a pronouncement on the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Hi Judge - Well here is the evidence. Pics of the Black Stocks off of my 2nd Model MT Woodsman. Please note that the cutout is molded not modified. Also some pics fro Binks Book of Colt Rimfire Pistols showing a similar 2nd Model. And Third, check out Mr Rayburns Site and click on the John Guest Collection; There are some Black grip 2nd models, the first is the rare nickel sport model with Black Stocks. I too will await Bob's input. As always, it's a pleasure comparing notes with you!

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
The special-order nickel Sport Model was shipped in 1955, probably after the Third Model was in production, and black is a good contrast with the nickel, so I think it is the exception that proves the rule.

In regard to the black stocks having the provision for the magazine release, again I should not have relied on my poor memory, and instead should have checked my own Model S collection. It appears that ALL of the black plastic stocks on the Third Models have the provision for the magazine release. I assume that was done so that the black stocks could be used to replace Second Model stocks.

I have never thought the Binks book is a totally reliable resource, and would add that by the time the book was published, the Second Models had been out of production for a couple of decades, leaving open the possibility that the pictured gun had its stocks replaced after the original stocks warped badly. The caption does not seem to reference the pistol pictured, but seems to be a general statement, and we know that not all Second Models have black stocks, if any do. The pistol pictured is acknowledged to be modified so I remain skeptical that any Second Models, other than special-order nickel Sport Models, have original black plastic stocks.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Hi Judge - Well here is the evidence. Pics of the Black Stocks off of my 2nd Model MT Woodsman. Please note that the cutout is molded not modified. Also some pics fro Binks Book of Colt Rimfire Pistols showing a similar 2nd Model. And Third, check out Mr Rayburns Site and click on the John Guest Collection; There are some Black grip 2nd models, the first is the rare nickel sport model with Black Stocks. I too will await Bob's input. As always, it's a pleasure comparing notes with you!
Jackson, those are certainly black grips that you show, but as Judgecolt says, the black grips on the third models all had the cutout for the magazine release to make them backward compatible. I have seen a few 2nd series guns with black grips, but none that I believed to have come from Colt that way.

I don't believe there are any 2nd series guns with black grips on my web site. The nickel sport that you mentioned I eventually bought from John and it was in my collection for several years. The grips were dark brown, not black. The two grip adapters that came with it in the original box were also dark brown, to match the grips. The black look in the old picture is the result of poor photography (not mine). Even most of that nickel gun looks black in that photograph. Here is a MUCH better picture of the same gun, after it became mine:

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Some of the later 2nd Model Woodsman have also been seen wearing Black Plastic style grips. Those are usually numbered (around 137XXX-S) in the "Flat top" series with then new 1953 Colt Accro rear sight. There is a Web Site (Sam Liskers' I believe) for 22 Automatics that show some examples of variations of the Colt 2nd Model Woodsmans.

Here is a Question; Has anybody seen BLACK grip adapters that would have been compatable with those late 2nd Model Flat top Colts?
The color shading on the brown gripped Woodsmans varied. In the late 2nd series SN range you referenced, 137xxx-S and beyond, I have seen mostly very dark brown, with matching very dark brown grip adapters. I have never seen a black grip adapter and I doubt that they exist.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts