Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, I bought one of Lowell's Woodman, a 1924 Pre series. I've fired it on two outings, and it's outstanding. Took it out today for the third, and it won't fire. None of the rounds is getting a firing pin strike. The trigger feels normal, the hammer falls with a nice, solid ring sound.

I brought the gun home, and disassembled with some trepidation (after years of owning a Ruger Mk II!), but it's apart ok. The strange thing is the firing pin moves in the channel fine. I expected it to be stuck. No, when I push on the rear it moves easily with finger pressure.

If need be, I can take the firing pin out, if someone can explain how. But that doesn't seem to be the problem, does it?

Thanks for any help! I never heard Woodsman's were fragile, or ever messed with cleaning the firing pin channel on any other gun. This one is in 96% condition too. What else should I check to get this fine piece running again?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
The only .22LR ammunition I ever had a problem with in my autos was CCI - and it behaved in a similar manner.

Try a couple of brands - make certain they're 'Standard Velocity' - and it may fix itself.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wait. There is no firing pin strike. I.E., none of the rounds I tried got any kind of dent in the rim. No ammo will fire if not touched by the firing pin.

·
Registered
332 Posts
When you push the pin from the rear does it protrude from the front as if to make a correct strike? Is it under spring pressure? If firing pin is marginally short or broken they can be easily replaced. I think they run about $10-15

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's what I checked for, it seems to be unbroken. I push the rear, the front of the pin pushes out enough to work properly. I'll wait for a few more answers before removing the pin to be sure, I hate to start jimmying on an almost mint pistol!

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I dropped a few drops of CLP into both ends of the firing pin, reassembled, and it fires! Hmmm. Guess the firing pin channel does need a clean. Must have been some old oil combined with 100 rounds of ammo lube. I'll try firing more than one test round tomorrow when the light is up.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I took my old High Standard Model 'B' out to the Range one time, Cold day, ( well lubed Pistol ) and I was getting 'FTF's.

I figured out the Lube was too viscous on account of the Cold!

If I'd been CCW-ing it, in IWB especially, it would have probably been warmed up enough to fire alright, but I had it in a Box, on the Car Seat, during transport.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good grief, this Woodsman started having the problem again. After paying $16 for my wife and I to shoot at the local range (I like the shade and tables). It would fire one round, eject fine, and load the second. Upon pulling the trigger, you can feel a good click as the hammer falls, but NO dent in the primer rim. I'd recock and load another round, sometimes it would fire, but mostly it would just "click" with no primer dent.

A few months ago I thought I had it fixed. I removed the firing pin, and cleaned the channel and pin very well. It worked for a few range sessions. Now, back to failure to fire.

What could possibly be wrong with this? It's obvious the firing pin is not flying forward. I can feel the hammer hit it, when I pull the trigger. Stands to reason SOMETHING is stopping the pin. Any ideas? Anyone ever have a Woodsman not fire? Very frustrating, I've had High Standard problems I can understand, but not this Colt.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If the gun was left stored in a cocked condition for a long time (years) the mainspring may be weak. I had the same problem on a 1949 vintage Woodsman Match Target. I bought a set of Wolf springs and replaced the mainspring and firing pin spring. Problem solved!

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you certain what you hear when you pull the trigger is a full hammer drop or the hammer drop off the Hammer Safety Notch (1/4 cocked)?
That's a good question. I can't really tell how far the hammer is dropping. But I do know that when the firing pin does travel, it dents the shell rim very well.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
That's a good question. I can't really tell how far the hammer is dropping. But I do know that when the firing pin does travel, it dents the shell rim very well.
I question whether or not the hammer is actually engaging with the sear at the cock notch.
You will feel a slight difference in the actual trigger position and pull..I.E. More play when the trigger is pulled if the sear is engaged on the Safety notch of the hammer.
Assemble the pistol without the Slide in place and manually operate the hammer to a cock position. Care should be observed as you do not want the hammer to fall forward into the frame when the trigger is pulled. Block it with your finger.

·
Registered
6,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I'll pull it out of the dark safe, where it is about to be banished, and try some more troubleshooting, like you say.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts