Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals,

I recently shot a friends Woodsman the other day and told him I would look up the date of birth for him.
The S/N is 1986XX-S which according to Proofhouse makes it a 1962 2nd Gen but this gun had a heel mag release instead of a push button release found on 2nd gen guns according to my Blue Book. Can anybody add some insight into this please? Trying to add to my limited knowledge of this model.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It will be a Target, Sport, or Match Target (3rd series) model, depending on the configuration. Saemetric is correct, it was made in 1962. How did it shoot--bet it was great fun.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assumed from Proofhouse that when the S/N's started over at 1001 in 69 that this was the change from 2nd to 3rd ( assumed being the important word)
Also didn't read that they returned to the heel release on the 3rd gen...who does that? Looks like it is a 1962 3rd gen Sport (had 4 1/2 barrel)

This one had a VERY light trigger...very light. Are they all like that? First one I have ever shot.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own a couple of Woodsmans and am currently looking for a 2nd series. The above posts are correct, your friend's is a 3rd series. As to the trigger, they are typically very light and crisp. They are rapidly becoming my favorite guns, so much nicer than the Buckmarks and Rugers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Woodsman inventory is currently (8), but I have not shoot most of them. The best shooter I currently have is a 4 1/2 " Match Target (series 2) that was bought for me and my brother new (by my dad) in 1952. It also has family history I would not want to give up.

bae125, if you find a nice series 2, go for it. It is by far my favorite Woodsman series.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You see....that's why I came here for answers...there is always someone who knows.

Thanks for all the help. I might have to get one of these to shoot....webwcolts has extra and is in the same state as me ;)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Be careful as the variations of the woodsman collection can be addicting. Currently have the basic 21 models and some specials: USAF arctic survival, NASA, USCG and TVA marked. A gas to shoot. Favorite is the Match Target.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Somehow "basic" and "21 models" seems a bit of an oxymoron....:)

Looks like NC has the market cornered on these guns....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts