Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 1931 First Generation Colt Woodsman. It has what I believe to be the original first generation magazine which has the distinctive bare metal top portion. The magazine bottom is stamped "Cal 22 Colt". My question is this. When did Colt introduce magazines marked "COLT WOODSMAN CAL. 22 L.R." ??? I have included a pic of a Colt Woodsman stamped mag that is of the early type with no bluing at the top of the magazine. Thanks for the help, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I don't understand the above post, but the correct magazine for your pistol would be magazine #6 shown in the pic I posted if your Woodsman dates to 1931. This would be the same magazine you show on the far right of your post.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, Nick that is an nice photo! (Credit to Nick for the Woodsman marked mag pic). Still wondering how accurate this chart is. I have to go read prewoodsman's thread. The mag that came with my Woodsman certainly could have been switched with an earlier mag, but knowing the history on this particular Woodsman, I am not yet convinced it did not come with the number 5 style mag from Colt.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Yes, Nick that is an nice photo! (Credit to Nick for the Woodsman marked mag pic). Still wondering how accurate this chart is. I have to go read prewoodsman's thread. The mag that came with my Woodsman certainly could have been switched with an earlier mag, but knowing the history on this particular Woodsman, I am not yet convinced it did not come with the number 5 style mag from Colt.
Mark,
I am getting to old to convince others, so I simply will attempt to answer both the above post as well as your sent to me private message.
The Colt Automatic caliber .22 Target Model was produced in 1915 and thru the years various changes to the model were incorporated or eliminated and Colt stated in their operators manual that the model "would prove" to be a success.
In 1927 Colt renamed their Automatic Target Model to "The Woodsman" and as such they changed their roll-mark to indicate such by placing it on the left forward section of the receiver. At which time they also standardized their magazine to include "Colt Woodsman Cal .22 L.R." stamped onto the magazines base. Further the owners manual reflected the change from "will prove" to "has proven". Always during a transition period one could expect past inventoried magazine to be placed into a newly assemble firearm examples. However 4 years hence is considered past the transition period and with that said, I am very confident that your 1931 Woodsman example would have been shipped with a Colt Woodsman Type 6 magazine.
Regards,
Tom Platt

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Prewoodsman has probably seen more Woodsmens and magazines than most people on this forum with maybe the exception of Bob Rayburn. He invented tools to help take the pistol and magazine apart, trust his knowledge.

Craig

Reactions: prewoodsman

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
"I am getting to old to convince others"
What's that line............
You can lead a camel to water but you can't make him drink.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Tom for your response. You have convinced me as to the correctness of the #6 magazine for my Woodsman. Thanks again for responding. Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts