Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just answered a letter from a gentleman who is looking for replacement magazines for his 1949 Woodsman, bought by his father when the gentleman was 10 years old. That means he was born in 1939, as was I. Since we old farts need to stick together I wrote him a lengthy reply. It is reproduced below for use by any of you.

Dear Mr. xxxxx:

I understand your complaint about the cost of original magazines for the Colt Woodsman. Unfortunately, $100+ is the going rate for any of them unless you find someone who has a few and does not know the going rate.

Several years ago I was fortunate enough to find 100 original 2nd series magazines, new in the original packaging, for sale at $15/each. I offered him $1000 for all 100 of them and became the owner. I then happily sold them for $20 each for a while, then gradually upped my price to $100 until I sold out. Nowadays, if I could buy them all back for $100/each I would happily do so and then sell them again, this time for $150-$175 or even $200 each.

They have not been made for decades and those who have them are generally not interested in selling.

I see that Bob’s Gun Shop, which you mentioned, has the Beretta Neo 22 Long Rifle 10 rd Blue Finish at $22.59. I have been told that those will work with the 2nd series Woodsman if you file a small slot in the right hand side for the magazine retainer to catch. You can use your original magazine to locate the correct spot. I am also told that they will not work with the 3rd series Woodsman because the rubber pad at the bottom does not allow the 3rd series type external magazine retainer to engage. Perhaps they could be modified; I do not know.

You have been wise to avoid aftermarket (non-Colt) magazines: Triple K, etc. They are notoriously unreliable with FTF (failure to feed) more often than not. On Ebay most of the sellers do not know what they have, but I don’t believe I have ever seen one say “after market, not made by Colt” even though most of them are. They just say “For Colt Woodsman” and even that is often untrue because as often as not they are made for a High Standard, and may or may not work in a Colt.

If it is made by Colt it will be so marked on the base plate. Then you still have to worry about which flavor of Colt it will fit and function. You report that you know from my colt22.com web site that type C is correct for your gun. I can tell you that type E will also work, and so will type F if you cut a notch in the RH side for the magazine retainer to engage.

The situation is bad for 2nd series guns but it is worse for 1st series. They are more scarce, more expensive, and there are many more worthless fakes on Ebay and elsewhere. The important points to remember is that all first series Colt made Woodsman magazines will interchange, and if it was made by Colt it will say so on the bottom of the base plate.

Bob Rayburn

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Interesting info! I, too am frustrated by the cost of Colt .22 magazines. One additional tidbit of info, I have been told that the Colt magazine base will fit the Beretta Neos magazine thus allowing them to work in a 3rd model. Haven't tried it myself, but intend to do so. Hope this helps.

PS: If anyone knows of a substitute for a 1st Model Colt magazine, please let us know!

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
High Standard magazines for the Models 'B' and 'HB' work well - they're unmarked, though, so look for the obvious signs of quality construction you see on the Colt ones.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I bought my first 2nd Model Woodsman about 40 years ago, original magazines could be had for around $20. Using the BLS inflation calculator, that translates into $84.38 today--- not far from $100.

I shake my head at those who rail against current market prices. As long as people (in this case many people) are willing to pay a certain price for any commodity, then the unseen hand of the market has determined the price of that commodity. Complaining about that is like griping about the weather. It won't change a thing. Better to just accept the reality. When it rains; grab an umbrella. When a Colt Woodsman magazine costs $100; get out your wallet and pay the price. As my long departed Dad used to say, "First quality oats cost good money. Oats that have been through the horse once, well they're a bit cheaper."

BRP

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'd like to get some observations about some Woodsman mags I have, since we have Bob Rayburn and prewoodsman and others who know their Woodsman details on this thread.

These are for my "S" series match target, 4 1/2 inch. A 1976 I think...... I'll post a few pictures and try to fill in the blanks.

Colt Woodsman and extra mags-2nd pics 005.JPG Colt Woodsman and extra mags-2nd pics 009.JPG Colt Woodsman and extra mags-2nd pics 012.JPG Colt Woodsman and extra mags-2nd pics 017.JPG
"Click" the image to enlarge if needed.

The blue is the original with the gun. The other 3 from a source of "N O S " Colt items I found about 4 or 5 years ago. No question they are all Colt, and they all work perfectly. There are two points I see as slightly different.
First, the knob for assisting loading is ever so slightly more prominent in height on the silver.... Next,... near the top of the mags, the silver ones have a small extra fold of metal.
Other than that, fit and function is exactly the same.

My questions are about the material, or the finish of the 3 non-originals. They look like S S, but I wouldn't think Colt ever made S S mags for the Woodsman,? and they are clearly stamped as Colt.
They are magnetic, but that is not a fail-safe way to check S S; and it could just be the "draw" of the internals I sense anyway.

Maybe nickel plate ?? I never thought much about them til Bob Rayburn started this thread, and reminded us how much the price of many Colt parts has risen in price.
Incidentally, I bought these for $25 each and $5 s&h from a Colt guy just lowering his inventory.
Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts
The stainless steel magazines are for the Colt .22 and are the same as Woodsman magazines outside of the different material. They work fine in either pistol...at least if they have the heel magazine release...I don't know whether they work with the Woodsman pistols with the side button mag release.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
296 Posts
P1040418.JPG

The mag in the pistol and the one on the right are Neos mags modified with Colt floor plates from Numrich. They work fine in my 3rd series, including the slide hold back. The original Beretta floor plates are in the foreground. They can be "notched" to work with the 3rd series mag release.

KNO[SUB]3[/SUB]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts