Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have seen 2nd Series slides equipped with the Coltmaster sight that have a set screw to lock the sight in place, and have also seen slides without the set screw. I would like information if this was done at the factory or by the user.

edit: I tried to post in the 22 pistol section but couldn't.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I have seen 2nd Series slides equipped with the Coltmaster sight that have a set screw to lock the sight in place, and have also seen slides without the set screw. I would like information if this was done at the factory or by the user.

edit: I tried to post in the 22 pistol section but couldn't.
I can't help with your question about the Woodsman sights but your not alone in being unable to post in the .22 Semiauto section.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Reactions: Beecherkid

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Hopefully Prewoodsmen will be around to answer the question.

Craig in CT.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Any Coltmaster equipped Colt that I have has only 2 screws on the sight body. One for elevation (the top one) and one for windage (the one on the right side). I think you are confusing the older Stevens or modified Stevens rear sight as it looks somewhat similar to the Coltmaster. Both versions of the Stevens rear sight have binding screws. I've only seen the Stevens rear sight on the 1st Series Match Targets.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The locking screw that I am referring to is not on the sight. When looking at the slide from the rear the set screw is centered in the slide just below the sight. If you look at several pictures of 2nd Series Match Target pistols from the rear, you will see what I mean. I am familiar with the Stevens sight.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Ahhh, now I know what you are talking about. Thats the sight body locking screw.
This will answer your question. Refer to Bob Rayburn's post#4

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
824tsv: Thanks, I knew that it was a locking screw for the Coltmaster sight that was only on some 2nd Series Match Targets. What I was hoping for was more information regarding year or serial numbers ranges. I checked all my resources but could not find that information.

Sometimes I have trouble putting my thoughts into written words. Thanks again for your time.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Called a "Sight Binding Screw", it must be loosened in order in order to make a windage adjustment.
A more positive means of locking the Coltmaster Sight from walking, especially so when the Windage Detent Ring is lost during sight service to which I have observed many. Further, I have found many Binding Screw replacement variations that are poorly executed and when I do, I replace them with my hand made one piece Factory specification example.

Regards,
Tom Platt
[email protected]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Tom. I didn't know it needed to be loosened for the windage adjustment. Do you happen to know the serial number when Colt started adding the Sight Binding Screw? Would I be correct in thinking the screw was stopped being used when Colt stopped using the Coltmaster sight?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tom,

I was just thinking of an easy way to to identify if an early slide was put on a late frame or vice versa.

I never had to adjust windage on my 2nd Series, only elevation, but I will not forget to loosen the binding screw on the later models if needed.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts