Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So. Second generation gun enthusiast. My Dad passed over 15 years ago. Before that time he asked me what he should do with his collection. I was not ready for that question and I was living on the left coast raising a family. I responded, sell all but the .22s. Yes, there was a beautiful Colt wheel gun with bluing a mile deep and a hair trigger. But that is not the topic for today's introduction.

He was good to his word and held aside all rimfire toys including his Woodsman. But, his 1st gen Woodsman 10779* is the Sport model was actually his "second" Woodsman. Whenever it came out he always lamented the fact someone stole his "first" Woodsman. Well, I was cleaning out the attic some 60 years later and to my amazement, I found the original box, manual, price tag etc to his stolen "first" Woodsman. To read more and view some pics go HERE.

So. That said, I am up in the air as to what to do with my recent discovery. Topic one, what are the odds the box and the gun could ever be re-united? Topic two, we won't discuss that topic. Sadly, I wish I had asked him to hold out his favorite 5 guns or something smart like that. But, I cling to what he did leave behind. Maybe someone has a box for his, now my 10779*.

Just to add further oddity to this post, some 10 years ago a shooting buddy in Texas handed me a Woodsman box. He figured he did not have the gun, I had a Woodsman, best that I keep the box. After a few hours of rummaging through my "attic", 10 years later and two moves later, I found the box. Based on Bob Rayburn's website this must be a 1950 mfg box. Test target states "Sport Model", SN 103002-S is on target. Nothing on the box for a SN that I can find.

Things are getting late. I will take pictures of the 103002-S box, (update: pictures HERE) test target and Colt screw driver disc. That is my extent of Colt stuff. I am keen to match guns with boxes should anyone out there have a match.

JD in NH

·
Premium Member
12,532 Posts
What a great story. When you post the pictures it might be a good idea to post them in the semi-auto section. Welcome to the Forum; really nice to have you here.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Welcome to the Forum durant7. Interesting story, indeed. Bet it all holds a great amount of nostalgia for the days of your Dad. I'm curious to see how the "matchup" goes with your Woodsman and the box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts